Chapter 42

December 20th,  1am

Ross' POV

The party is still wild but I'm sat in one particular room with Jasper's little niece while waiting for him to return with a glass of water for her. I really have nothing else to do at the moment because everyone is in pairs and I am the single one at this party.

Rosalyn is sitting on the bed, covered with sheets, and looking out the window. I clear my throat as I look at her.

"What did you mean when you said I look like some guy in a picture?", I ask her and her gaze meets mine.

She then surprises me by giving me a bright smile. "I like you. What's your name?"

She ignores my question. Very well.

"I'm Ross. "

"I'm Rosalyn. It's almost the same. ", she giggles, referring to our names.

I chuckle. "Yeah. Do you have a nickname or do they call you by a full name all the time?"

"Uncle Jas calls me princess when he isn't mad. ", she whispers.

"Why do you think he's mad?"

"Because I came here alone. He doesn't like that. "

I pause and look at the snow outside, deciding on what to say next.

"Well, I will call you Rosie. ", I suggest.

Her eyes seem to have sparkled when she hears the calling. I chuckle at her pleased expression.

"That's pretty. ", she allows it. "Do you have a nickname?"

Smile creeps up to my lips. "Um..how do you create a nickname for the name Ross? It's like on the list of the shortest names ever. "

"Hm. But that's not fair. You should have a nickname too. ", she speaks as she stares at her little fingers.

"Many things aren't fair. ", I light up the screen of my phone. Okay, I have no pride now that I still have no messages from her.

I type Laura a quick text asking if she's okay. Maybe she fell asleep. She probably was tired. I shouldn't be that selfish to let my mood drop just because I wanted her to congratulate me first.

"Why are you sad?", Rosie asks. "Is it because you don't have a nickname?"

I laugh at her caring but silly question and shake my head. "I'm not sad. Just worried. "

"Why?"

Curious little one.

"One person won't answer my texts. "

"Is it your wife?", the girl makes me blush with the question.

I shake my head. "No, no. She's my girlfriend. "

"Why is that different? She will be your wife then. ", she grins widely at me and claps her hands.

I sink deeper into my embarrassment, not saying a word. Like she would understand how the adult world works. I won't spoil the nasty deets for her. She probably thinks everyone is prince charming with their beautiful princesses.

"I suppose.. " I laugh a bit and look away. "Why did you come alone? Where is your mom?", I question.

Her mood suddenly drops and she covers herself up to her nose.

"Mommy always leaves me alone. She just goes somewhere. I think she visits Mr Doctor because she looks sick. "

My heart aches for her. I gulp. "But what about your dad?"