Chapter 5

A few days later, the summer was over. I know that technically, it ends in the second half of September but for me, the beginning of school means tragic loss of free time and summertime activities.

Most of people think of summer not as one of the seasons but as an intake of a breath that motivates you to keep living. It's the truth.

I don't know if it's the sun that draws a smile on my face or the freedom that comes, but I guarantee you that I gather strength within me from June to September.

Then, of course, college has to be a bitch and ruin it all.

I enter my literature class with a look on my face that simply says 'don't talk to me, don't come near me, don't even look at me'.

My brush barely went through my hair three times before I gave up getting ready. I didn't even put my every day make-up on, just added a little bit of mascara.

Although, I don't remember brushing my teeth. I probably have slept through that.

Theres an old short sleeved red T-shirt on me as well as a pair of jeans. I'm also a big fan of sneakers, wearing them everywhere I go.

I sit on my usual spot, not in the back and not that close to the teacher. Somewhere in the middle. Nobody is there because they all know who posseses it. Ha.

Just as I take out my books, professor walks in and gives us a small smile.

"Good morning, fellow students. Today, we are discussing what we will be doing in this semester. I'll give you a list of books we will analyze and hopefully, you'll write it down for your own good. "

I take out my notebook and look for a pen.

Oh crap. I forgot it. How could I?

I am such a failure in life.

Before I start to panic, a small red pen rolls over to my notebook with a note attached to it. I frown and open it.

You're lucky I have an extra pen. You can thank me later.

At the end of the note is a mocking face and a very pretty drawn R.

I look up to the person and find the blonde head two seats away. He nods towards me.

"I don't need your pen. ", I whisper loud enough for him to hear.

"Keep telling yourself that. "

"Seriously. "

"There's my number at the back. Thought I could use a friend around here. ", Ross whispers.

I turn the paper. "I am not the one you're looking for. I'm not even sure if I remembered this building correctly. "

"Come on, Laura. "

"You guys. Keep it down. I'm trying to keep up with the professor. ", the girl between us complains.

"I'm sorry but she's just obnoxious. ", Ross tells her.

"Yet, you wanna be my friend. ", I bite my tongue.

"You don't have to be flawless to be around me, you know. "

"Ms Marano. ", our professor speaks and my eyes look back to him. "Is there a problem with Mr Lynch? "

"No. Not at all. "

I suspect he awaits for my apology. Which never comes.

He sighs and proceeds.

Ross disappears after literature despite his need for someone to show him around. I thank god for some alone time because first day of school isn't really a good day for me.