Chapter 9

My father spots Colton just as he pushes himself in bewteen us, making him lose his grip on my wrist. I shudder in relief as my cousin stands in front of me, glaring at the drunk man.

"Colton. ", I let out a small sigh of exasperation. Thank you. I was hoping to get out of this situation. I was really scared.

"Go away. Don't come near her. ", Colton says coldly as he takes my hand and pulls me away from the man of my nightmares.

"She must know the truth about her precious mother. She's not much of a saint as she pictures her! ", father raises his voice.

"Whoever she was and whatever she had done means nothing to my heart. She was my mother and she loved me, that's all I care about. ", I say and wipe my tears with my free hand.

"Laura, let's go. ", Colton pulls me down the concreted path wet from the sudden pouring rain.

I cough and feel my lungs tightening. "Where are we going?"

"To my place. ", he answers and soon we are out of the cemetary and on the sidewalk, near the place Ross dropped me off.

Colton leads me to his car, worry written all over his forehead. I can't tell if he's angry or sad. It's a mixed confusion of emotions.

We drive away with the quiet music playing on the radio. My head leans against the window and I close my eyes.

Nobody asks me anything when we get there. Not even Kate, she just makes me coffee and puts it on the table in front of me. Nobody asks and I stay quiet, avoiding people for a while and missing my classes for a few days. Everybody gives me space and I am grateful for it.

I just wasn't mentally prepared to face anyone. My eyes rarely left pictures of my mom as I stared at them for most of the time. Fever didn't come down for about three or four days and I didn't even care enough to take care of myself. I couldn't.

Anna stayed every single night with me in the dorm room, giving me medicine and making small talks to try to let me know she's here. I appreciate it but I'd rather be alone. I wonder how she bought all these drugs when she's almost broke. Though she has a job, I am still surprised because she spends most of her money on her dates with Jasper.

What surprises me the most is that Ross never came. He hasn't come even once to visit me while I'm sick and I haven't seen him since the day he dropped me off at the cemetery. Not that I want him to come..well, I don't know.

What's his problem anyway? He tries so hard to make connections with me and then suddenly..stops. Maybe I secretly expected something of this friendship. I am not sure.

I just know that you can't be disappointed unless you care.

And I know that I am disappointed.

Drunk, blurry eyes of my father filled with venom and hatred flash through my mind. I shiver at the thought.

"How are you today?", Anna asks me as she enters the room.

I cough and wrap myself more in my blanket. "A little better. "

"Good. Let me check on your fever. ", my friend tells me and drops her bag with books.

Warm hand touches my forehead and I close my eyes. I hate being a burden to her. I hate this situation in which I can't forbid her to take care of me because I am just weak.

I hate attention.

"Your fever's come down. Good. I brought you a lemonade. Drink it up. ", her concerned voice makes me accept her little way of caring and I take the plastic cup from her hand.