Chapter 18

Later that day

Laura's POV

"Why don't you all stay here for the night? We have enough rooms. ", Diana politely offers.

I squeeze my coat around me so she wouldn't see my tattooed shoulder. I feel somehow exposed here. All these people were never damaged the way I am.

That's what I thought at least, until..

"I don't think that's such a good idea. ", I look away.

Ross' mom walks over to me and grabs me by the shoulders. "It's been three hours already. It's impossible that you are still cold. Take that thing off. "

"No. I don't wanna. ", I protest.

"Laura, sweetie. I can turn up the heating if you'd like. ", she smiles and pushes the material down my arm, exposing my ink covered shoulder. I am dressed only in my short sleeved T-shirt.

Her movements stop and I just stare at the ground, embarrassed as hell. I don't know why. I don't want this woman to judge my appearances, oh god.

"I.. "

"The coat. Take it off. ", she says and I now obey her orders since she has already seen it and there's no going back.

Colton and Ross are luckily in another room, on the terrace I assume.

"Look at me, Laura. ", Diana says quietly. I slowly raise my head to meet her eyes. She reads the date on my arm. "23.9. That's the day Liz passed away. "

My cheeks are burning red and I feel ashamed before this woman. She seems like someone who is so strong in her personality and who doesn't need anything written down to get over it. Her glance catches the small inked flowers on my arm and a part of the blade I did on my chest, across the heart.

Soft smile spreads across her lips and I am surprised. She suddenly raises her shirt to show me her chest. My eyes widen.

"Look. ", she shows me the same date that I have, only written across the right side of her chest. I then look to the other date on the left.

"Why 24.9.?", I ask, still in shock that she'd do tattooes just like me.

Diana pushes down her shirt and looks me in the eyes. "23.9. was the day one life precious to me was taken away. 24.9. is the day I saved another life that is precious to me. "

Tears prickle and I suddenly feel overwhelmed and emotional as we share this special moment.

Diana continues to speak. "You should never be ashamed of those black writings on your skin. They are where they are, a part of you. Every single insecurity is a part of you. Accept it. Why do you think I died my hair? Do you think I am proud of it? I've always loved my blonde hair but I felt like I needed to become someone else for that occasion, as if I would never get over that she's gone if I stayed the same. All of this is a symbol of change. Changes are there to be aknowledged and accepted since they are constant in life. Don't run away from who you are at any moment in your life. "

"Thank you so much. ", I laugh through my tears and wipe my eyes. "I didn't know there was someone like me, who did that, because of mom. "

"Don't cry, please. We are over that part. ", she chuckles and puts away my coat. "We should celebrate this reunion with a glass of wine. "

I laugh. "That sounds fine. "

"Those two idiots are way ahead of us. I'll grab the bottle and you go see what they are doing. ", Diana disappears into the kitchen.

I follow her request and enter the room Ross and Colton disappeared into.

"What are the two of you doing?", I lean through the glass door of the terrace.

They are sitting on the chairs, swallowing their beer. Their eyes look at me while smiling.

"Laurie. You came to join us. ", Colton raises his can. "This is for you only. "

Then he swallows it to the end.

"What's in it for me? You only got your ass drunk. ", I giggle.

"Don't be a buzz killer. I'll do it for you too. ", Ross says and does what he said, leaning his mouth on the can and swallowing the whole content of it.

My cheeks are hit with a burn when he says the words 'for you'.

I shake my head and gasp. "You two drunks!"

"We have one for you. ", Colton says and raises a full can.

"I am waiting for the wine since I'm a lady, thank you. ", I joke.

"Since when?", Colton grimaces and I hit him in the arm. "Ouch. "

"Since now. Do you have a problem with that?", Diana raises a brow as she comes through the door. The guys' expressions are surprised.

"No, ma'am. ", they say in unison.

"That's what I thought. "

"Now you're on her side? You love everyone more than me. Will I ever climb to the top of your list of favorites?", Ross mumbles and I smile at his sudden question.

"Honey. ", Diana pinches his cheek. "She's our guest and deserves a special treatment by me. ", she winks at me.

Ross gives me a drunken glare. "You stole away my mother. Congratulations, smart ass. "

"Anytime, dumb blondie. ", I stick out my tongue at him.

"Do you two have to flirt every time you are together?", Colton groans and rolls his eyes.

"We are not flirting. ", I cross my arms on my chest. Diana hands me a glass of wine.

"You are and I get the feeling you do it in front of me on purpose just to spite me. ", my annoying cousin says.

"Well, sorry but you kiss Kate's ass every time we are there. ", Ross rolls his eyes.

"That's not true. ", Colton fights back. "I did that only once. And it was a dare. "

"Yeah yeah. ", Ross and I say in unison and then chuckle together.

Diana sips her wine. "That's an information I could definitely live without. Just let me know when the baby hits the road. I don't wanna know the deets. "

"I didn't do that on purpose!", Colton is sulking now and we are all making fun of him.

We drink, laugh and talk about random things all night. To the point where all of us are drunk and the law of me being away from Ross is broken even in family ways. I feel like the old days, where Ross, Colton and I would spend long hours together having fun.

Instead of avoiding Ross, I decided a better idea is to bond with his mother. How smart, Laura.

"I like your mom. ", I whisper to him at some point.

"I can see. ", Ross turns his face to meet my gaze, which turns out to be closer than I thought. Shiver and nostalgia pass me by.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°