May 28, 2013

After reading Chris' note yesterday, I managed to drag myself downstairs, pulling on a black sun hat and large sunglasses. Emma greeted me with a small smile and sympathetic look, while my mother proceeded to scold me for the next ten minutes. She told me that Chris had carried me to my room, and then had left, leaving me in my warm bed. I felt guilty for not remembering it.

At school, I ditched Physics. I had absolutely no interest in seeing Kimber, so I went to my bench. But even that wasn't the same.

Adam had corrupted my sanctuary, simply by placing himself on that cold bench. His poison and deceit had engulfed every atom with inky tendrils, and the ghost of every cigarette that he smoked haunted the very air. Adam was a ghost to me now- an illusion of what appeared to be the man that I needed. But you cannot make homes out of people, for they can be foreclosed, and they will be gone before you can blink an eye.

I eventually walked back to school, remembering that I was having lunch with Chris. We had agreed to meet at The Brew, a coffee shop on the campus of our school. That was the one perk of being the sole high school in Wyatt- they spoiled us. I ordered an iced latte, then sat at a small table for two. I wondered if Chris was going to show up or not. I could feel my heart pounding, but then Chris sat down with a smile on his face.

"Hey beautiful," he said with a grin.

I groaned. "Not so loud." I put my head in my hands.

Chris laughed. "Well, you look much better than you did last night, that's for sure." His eyes lit up, and he reached underneath the table to grab a box. He held it out to me and I opened it. Inside were a new pair of black heels. A replacement for the one I broke.

I look at Chris with a mixture of confusion and awe. "Chris, why did you-"

He cuts me off with a laugh. "You looked so damn miserable last night when your shoe broke that I thought you deserved a new one, Syd." He blushes and runs a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry if they're not okay ones, I'm hopeless with shoes but my sister has a pair like these and likes them-"

"No, they're great. Thank you so much," I said, offering a small smile. "I should be the one buying new shoes, considering that yours are covered in vomit. And remind me to give you your jacket back."

He laughed. "Don't worry, Sydney. It's really okay. And you can keep the jacket, my mom ordered it too small."

I give him a small smile, and we talk for the rest of lunch. He walks me to class, giving me a smile and a kiss on the cheek. He asks if I want to go see a movie after school, and I reluctantly agree. I don't want another repeat of Adam.

I walk into AP and immediately regret it. I head directly to my seat, but Adam is already there, blocking my wat. He looks at me with weary and bloodshot eyes, and takes a step towards me.

"Hey, I'm-"

"Save. It," I hiss. I clench my jaw until my ears are ringing.

He attemps to apologize again. "Please, I didn't-"

"Didn't what?" I snap. "Didn't mean for me to see you sucking face with one of my friends?"

Adam sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I thought we were broken up, Sydney. You said you didn't want to talk to me anymore."

I feltl like I was ready to scream. "Did either one of us say that we were done?" This shuts Adam up. "No, Adam. Look, honestly, I love you. And I really shouldn't. You are my downfall." I pause, and I'm thankful that my glasses hide my watering eyes. "I love you, more than anything in the whole world. I just don't like you anymore." I push past him, and he starts to walk away.

"I'm sorry, Sydney."

I let him walk away before I call after him. "Adam?" I called. He turns around. "It's Iris to you."