Chapter 12

“Wow,” I said looking at the ivory colored dress in Natalie’s hand.

At five, I had gone upstairs to go through my wardrobe for a perfect dress. It seemed that I was going to my first date because none of the dresses looked good on me. Not even when I was dressing up to meet the Crawfords for the first time did I go through this phase. An hour later I was ready to tear my hair out and it was then I decided to call my girlfriends. Ten minutes later, Natalie and Emma were in my room with shopping bags containing all the dresses they had, I was touched by their gesture while they forced me to go take a shower and that they will take care of me.

After I had showered thoroughly; Natalie insisted that I must smell like roses before I even step out of the shower thus I had to scrub myself again and again till my skin smelt of roses; I stepped out of the bathroom in a bathrobe. You have no idea how creepy it is to smell your own skin in the shower but I knew that if Natalie didn’t smell roses on me then she would come do it herself.

Natalie and Emma had made a pile of dresses on the bed which supposedly could never look good on me –what a wonderful way to bring down a girl’s self esteem. However they had made a shorter pile of dresses that would look great on me. The dresses they had chosen were all dark –dark purple, black, midnight blue, wine red, grass green and all the dark shades of colors. Finally I found the dress I loved and saw it to be in contrast of all the other dresses. It was an ivory colored strapless short dress with beading.

I chose my undergarments in white color and went in the bathroom to wear the dress.

“Hey Alex!” I heard Emma call.

“Yeah?” I called back.

“Where’s the interview again?”

“It’s with David Letterman on the Late Show!” I called back and came out. Both Emma and Natalie let out dramatic gasps.

“You look hot!” Natalie said grinning.

“She looks beautiful,” Emma said rolling her eyes.

I shook my head in amusement. “Who is going to do my make up?” I asked looking at them. I had told them what Chace told me and they wanted me to be perfect.

“Nat’s going to do your make up while I’ll do your hair and we need you to coordinate with us ‘cause it’s getting late,” Emma said looking at her wrist watch.

My eyes too went to the clock beside my bed and I saw that it was already seven. After making me sit in front of the dressing table and turning on all the lights of the room they both started their work on me. I closed my eyes and relaxed back on the chair trying to relax my nerves.

It seemed that I had dozed off because I woke up with a jerk when someone shook me by the shoulder. I looked confusedly at Natalie. “You are done?”

She nodded vigorously. “Your make up is done and Emma is just going to finish.”

“Done!” Emma chirped just as Natalie finished talking.

“Can I see?” I asked excitedly. “And what’s the time?” I stood up to see myself in the full view mirror while Emma checked her watch.

“7:50,” Emma replied. “Just in time –let me get you heels to go with that.”

But I wasn’t listening to her anymore. I was too occupied looking at the beauty in front of me. The dress reached an inch below my mid thighs and bodice of the dress fit snugly without showing any cleavage. One of them had put my flower designed diamond earrings on me and they twinkled in the light in the room. I was also wearing my matching diamond necklace –a white gold chain with the diamond flower. I let my eyes wander over my face and admired Natalie’s handwork. She went in contrast to my dress and did black smoky eye make up with grey highlights. She had put bronze blush on to highlight my cheekbones and pink lip gloss to make my lips look plumper. I smiled at my reflection and wandered my eyes to see Emma’s handiwork. She had put my hair on the top of my head in an elegant yet classy up do with a few curls down to frame my face. The knot wasn’t smooth; it seemed that curls were springing out from it. I loved it.