Chapter 29

We returned back home on June twenty-ninth. Today was 3rd July and I was still looking for a University to get into. I was one of those people who didn’t like staying at home all day. The school had asked me for my university choices so that they could send in the results of my exams. However, I had told them that I wanted to search them and send in the results myself to the Universities.

“Hey.”

I looked up from my laptop to see Chace standing at the door of my room with a coffee mug in his hand.

“Hello,” I replied and went back to my work.

He sighed and came to sit beside me. “How many times do I have to tell you that you can go to the nearest University?”

I made a face. This was an argument which no one had won. Chace wanted me to go to the nearest University. But, thankfully I had gotten a result that could attain me an acceptance in very good Universities.

“And how many times do I have to tell you that I want to go out of the state?” I countered back.

He groaned. “You just need a University degree! You can get it anywhere.”

I shot him a glare. “I have to study for four years in a University, and I would rather study in a good one at that.”

He rolled his eyes. “Yes, very good Universities are here as well, why can’t you go in them?”

“Chace,” I started. He had asked this question many times and I had never replied. But I guess he needed to know the truth now. “Look, I don’t want to study here. I want to study out of the continent.”

He stared at me expressionless and then suddenly got up.

“Chace –”

“Fine. You can study where ever you want. I don’t give a damn to what you do.” With that, he left me speechless as he slammed the door behind him.

_+_+_+_+_+_+_

It had been a week and I was pacing around in my room. Chace had started to leave early and come late since our argument. However, Marques had assured me that he wasn’t coming home drunk; just tired and aggravated. I hadn’t seen him and it was driving me out of my mind. Now I knew how Chace must have felt when I had ignored him.

Tonight, I will though. I will make him see reason.

I looked up as I heard a door being shut. My eyes flickered to the clock. 3 a.m. Smoke started to come out of my ears. Was this a time of coming home? Wasting no time, I moved out of the room to go downstairs.

I saw him in the kitchen drinking a glass of juice. I silently crept behind him and cleared my throat. He jumped and spilled some juice on his shirt. Glaring at me, he pulled out some tissues and went to the skin to wipe the juice off.

“What are you doing awake?” he asked bitterly.

“I wanted to talk to you,” I answered in a small voice.

I heard him let out a chuckle. “We could have talked in the morning.”

“But that’s the thing! You are not there when I wake up!”

He shrugged. “I am just letting you get accustomed to how it will be like when you study all alone in a different country.”

Ouch. That hurt. “Chace…”

He turned to me. “It doesn’t feel good does it?”

I didn’t like the hardness in his eyes. “We will talk on the phone.”