Late Night Feelings

By: Douglasramsey
From : Tumblr

You're sitting at the dinner table when the doorbell rang. It's almost ten in the evening and had been storming all day, so the sound chiming through the house came to your surprise. You find yourself staring at the front door instead of opening it, trying to think of who could possibly be on the other side. The doorbell rings again.

"Y/N are you gonna get the door?" your mom calls from the other room, finally getting you to rush over to the door and pull it open.

Minho stands in the rain, soaked from head to toe, a duffel bag slung over his shoulder. His hair is stuck to his forehead, no longer being pushed up into his usual hairstyle and he shivers slightly on the porch.

"Minho! What are you doing? Did you walk all across town in this storm?" you ask, grabbing his wrist and pulling him inside. Before either of you say anything more, you close the door and turn back to Minho. He had placed the soaked-up duffle bag on the ground and was focused on you, eventually moving his gaze to the floor once you refused to look away.

"My parents kicked me out." You can barely hear his whisper. "I didn't know where else to go." He opens his mouth to continue, but you interrupt, wrapping your arms around his neck and pulling him closer to you. The rain had chilled Minho to the bone and he was still shivering in your grasp. Water drips off his hair and down your spine as he hugs you back, the rainwater that soaked his clothes seeping through your own.

Minho had always come to you for help since the first time he visited your house for your biology project at the beginning of the school year. You knew he had a rocky relationship with his adoptive parents-they never seemed to care until it became a problem for them. They'd then take out whatever anger they had about it on Minho in return-and you were the only person he trusted to vent to. Things were always bad, but you never expected them to take things this far, especially since Minho didn't actually do anything wrong.

"I'm so sorry, Min," you whisper, pulling away and letting your hands slide down the sides of his arms, rubbing them in hopes of warming him up.

"Hey, Y/N who was at the-" Your mom stops talking once she enters the room. "Minho! You're soaked, let me grab you a towel...or maybe two." She rushes out of the room and Minho's lip curls up a little.

"I'm really sorry to barge in on you, Y/N, but it's late, and raining, and-"

"Minho, you don't need to apologize. You know you're always welcome in our home."

He manages a smile and your mom returns with a few towels, wrapping one around his shoulders and handing him the second. Minho says a quick thank you before drying his hair, running his fingers through it in attempt to give it back its usual shape. You grab the damp towel from him as he bends over to remove his shoes and his soaked through socks, his hands shaking with every movement. It was hard for you to tell if it was from the cold or the anxiety of being kicked out of his own home.

Your mom gives him a few instructions: go upstairs and take a hot shower to rejuvenate his body; leave his wet clothes in the basket and put it in the hall, so she'll remember to wash them; and most importantly, get a good night's sleep in the spare room. Minho digs through his duffle bag for a pair of clothes that managed to stay dry during his trek across the city and excuses himself, disappearing up the stairs.

You hear the water in the bathroom shut off and wait by the door of your room you left open ajar, resting your head against the wall. It didn't seem real that Minho was kicked out of his parent's apartment. With all they put him through in the past year, you knew things were bad at home, but you never imagined it would come to this.

Footsteps sound in the hall and there's a soft knock on the door, the force pressed against it pushing it open. Minho stands in the doorway, looking down at where you were sitting.

"Expecting someone?" he jokes, his smile leaving his lips as quickly as it appeared. "You didn't have to wait up for me, it's getting late."

"Well," you start, stifling a yawn, "it seems like you want some company."

Minho sighs, sitting on the edge of your bed and falling back, staring up at the ceiling. You climb onto the bed after him, crossing your legs and watching your best friend's brow furrow. Each breath he takes was shakier than the previous and you place a hand on his arm, rubbing it slightly.

"You gonna be okay?" you ask, trying to figure out what was going on inside his head. Minho had always been honest with you, telling you what happened at home whenever things went wrong. It was probably for the better that he was no longer wanted in that apartment; he wouldn't have to deal with abusive parents, whether it be verbal or physical.

Minho sits up, wiping away tears before they could fall. He leans his head against your shoulder, his gaze focused on his fingernails.

"You know, after everything that happened in the Glade, I was so happy to be adopted. I still got to see the other boys at school, I was finally living a normal life. I had a family." He pauses, pulling his knees up to his chest. "I should've known nothing could've replaced my Glader family. It was too good to be true. But now they have their own families and their own schedules. I hardly see them."

You hum in response, resting your head on top of his. "So, this isn't about your parents, is it?"

"Well, I hate that they're such slintheads, projecting their shucking high school failures on me and reliving their past through my actions, but I really just miss my friends." Minho then sat up, looking at you wide-eyed. "Not that you being my friend isn't enough!"

You smile. "No, Min, I understand. But, have you talked to them about this?"

His shoulders slump. "Not exactly."

"Maybe you should. They can't know how you feel without you telling them. No one can." You brush Minho's hair out of his face.

"You always know how I feel," Minho murmured.

You laugh, reaching out and placing a hand on his knee. "Yes, but I'm not one of your Glader boys. Just talk to them! Explain everything that's been going on and how you feel left out. I know for a fact that Newt at least will understand."

Minho looks down at your hand and smiles, placing his own overtop and gives it a squeeze. "What did I do to deserve you, Y/N?"

"Nothing too out of the ordinary. Just call me your guardian angel." You give him a playful shove and he returns it, only pushing you a little too hard. Minho reaches out to stop you from falling backward but only manages to fall with you. He moves his hands to the side, pressing them against the mattress to keep his weight off of you, but doesn't move away.

Minho smiles, this time it being completely sincere. "You're the best guardian angel a guy could ask for, and I didn't even shucking ask in the first place. You were just too stubborn to leave me alone."

His gaze falls down to your lips and moves his right hand to cup your cheek. Knowing where things were going, you place a hand behind his head, pulling him closer to you. Minho's lips press against yours, the both of you smiling into the kiss, and when he pulls back the smile is still there. You can feel your heart swell in your chest as you stare at your best friend, his dark eyes glistening with more happiness than you've seen there in a long time.

"I've been meaning to do that for a while," he whispers, making you laugh.

"Took you long enough."

"Well, I did have some other feelings to sort out first." Minho presses a quick kiss on your forehead and rolls to the side of the bed, swinging his legs over the side. "I should let you get some sleep. Don't want to deprive my guardian angel of her beauty sleep." He stops when he reaches the door, turning to get one last look at you before leaving the room. "Not that you need it."

《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》
IG | | typically.thomas