Behind Your Back || Part Two

It had been three months since you broke up with Newt.

Well, that was an understatement of the situation in your opinion. What it really felt like was:

It had been three months since Newt had completely ripped your heart off your chest, threw it to the ground and walked all over it while Moira held his hand, proud of him for what he did. Yeah, that felt like it captured at least half of what it felt like then.

Even the greenies that continued to come up every month quickly found out about the whole situation. You figured it couldn't really be helped, there were only three girls to introduce and since Newt did all the Greenie Tours it wasn't really hard for them to figure it out. Not when Moira would go all kissy-kissy to the Second-In-Command when he introduced her, and Teresa would flip him off, and you would pretend not to hear him as he barely said your name anyway.

"Hey," your best friend's voice suddenly reached your ears as she nudged you lightly.

You realized you must have spaced out a bit as you fixed up the inventory in the Med-hut. You quickly turned to her, your tired eyes wide.

Teresa smiled sweetly at you, but you could see the concern in her eyes. She licked her lips and smirked at you, leaning in as if she had the juiciest gossip in the Glade (next to yours, of course). "Fry's trying out a new dish for dinner tonight, apparently. Do you think we'll survive?"

You forced out the chuckle that was suck in your throat from what she said, "I know my way 'round the kitchen, don't worry T'res." you smiled before turning back to your work.

"Good that." she said and you felt her watch you for a moment as her smile disappears, then she goes back to work too.

You had to be thankful that your best friend treated you normally. She stopped asking if you were alright after two weeks, realizing that you never were and only lied about it. But it honestly hadn't been any easier as the days, weeks and months went by. It wasn't that it was getting harder either, it was just this constant pain that pulsed through you - unchanging, as if it couldn't possibly get any worse cause you were already rock bottom.

Minho was another one who helped a lot. He was the one who was by your side when you first broke up with Newt. He held you tightly when you cried for hours and ever since then he was there for you - always. Even though he was running in the maze all day, you found that every moment he was back in the Glade it was with you. He would immediately be by your side as soon as he was done with his Runner duties. He would sit next to you at dinner and pull a laugh from you with his sassy remarks. He would bring you to your hut and wish you good night, even stay by you for a while just to talk - really talk about everything, away from anyone's ears. You were so happy to have such a great friend in Minho, as well as your best friend Teresa - both of them helped you get through everything, truly.

They were like your new defense squad. It helped that they were probably the two most intimidating people in the Glade as well. You knew they gave looks to people who dared to ask if you were alright or not.

You felt that you could do it yourself, really. You found that you were great at acting, so interacting with people masked your feelings but it didn't stop the questions from being asked. You had noticeably lost weight from the lack of an appetite and you weren't getting enough sleep so your eye bags were a huge giveaway.

But with a look from your best friends, Gladers would drop the topic completely. They would even make sure you, Newt and Moira had the most minimal contact any moment in the Glade.

Seeing Moira and Newt's public displays of affection felt like a brass knuckle to your gut especially since you kind of felt that Moira would dangle her boyfriend in front of you any chance she could, all with a smirk on her face. Though that wasn't the worst. When you dared to look, you did notice Newt sometimes looked at you with this apologetic expression but it was the fact that even with that, he didn't do anything about it. He would kiss her back, run his hands through her hair or lace his arms around her right after.That broke your heart. It just added to everything you felt.