Falling Fast

By: halfbloodglader
From : Tumblr

In a place with no more than sixty people, changes in any kind of relationship didn't go unnoticed. Especially when those changes involved the only girl in the glade.

Ever since she had arrived, Y/N had proven herself as a tough, ambitious force not to be reckoned with. Because of it, she had earned her spot as a runner in under a week, Minho taking her under his wing.

Everyone in the Glade saw the changes in Minho since that day.

He always demanded that she be his running partner. He refused to let anyone but himself sit with her at mealtimes so that they could 'discuss the maze.' He always kept an eye on her.

"Minho, for gods sake stop staring at the poor girl." Newt grumbled in frustration, trying to maintain a conversation with the runner. Thomas, who sat on the other side of Minho, snickered in response.

"Yeah, well what if something happens to her? Your scrawny, shuck butt won't be saving her." Minho snapped back, trying to pry his eyes from the girls frame who fought with one of the builders in the ring.

Newt rolled his eyes and clenched his jaw. "You're bloody impossible."

The three boys bantered about other matters regarding the Glade for a while before rush of air blew past them. Y/N jumped over the log and sat between the boys. Minho tensed, something both Newt and Thomas shared suspicious glances over.

"Hey, Y/N?" Thomas piped up. The girl leaned forwards to catch his eyes. "You and Minho are a thing right?"

Y/N's eyes went wide, shooting back away from Thomas' gaze. "The shuck? No."

Minho's face was stolid, staring right at the fire.

"What'd you got to say about that, Minho?" Thomas teased like a little kid, a smirk rising on his face. Minho was impossible to crack, unless it was under circumstances regarding Y/N.

"You not hear her? No." He rolled his eyes and stood angrily, jogging off into the dark glade.

"Someone's grumpy." Y/N giggled, watching Minho run off.

The Glade was unbearably hot. Alby had ordered that the runners take the day off, so Y/N and Minho headed off to work in the gardens with Newt. The day went as expected: trying vines, planting seeds, and bickering nonstop. All until screams came from the forest.

It was Thomas. "HEY! HELP!" He cried out desperately, charging out of the woods with Ben on his tail.

Ben tackled Thomas in front of the gardens, and Y/N was the first to arrive. She barrelled straight into Ben, knocking him to the ground. Y/N took her chance to throw a couple of punches before he regained his senses, prying himself out from under her and throwing a few punches himself.

Newt was the next to show up, careening his shovel straight into Ben's head. The blonde runner fell limp, his body landing on the ground beside Y/N. Dazed, she sat up immediately looking to her friend.

He was still struggling weakly against the weight of four or five boys, but he was completely out of it. Gally lifted Ben's shirt, only to be met with grotesque black and blue veins spidering from his abdomen. He'd been stung.

"Put him in the pit." Alby commanded. No one wanted to throw their friend into the prison, but they knew they had no choice. "Clint, Jeff, fix Y/N up."

After his orders were sent out, Alby disappeared into the woods. No one went after him. Clint and Jeff began making their way towards Y/N.

"Stop. I've got her." Minho warned, putting an arm out to stop the Medjacks from getting any closer. They stepped back. The runner carefully picked up his partner who still stared in the direction which Ben had been taken in complete disbelief, eyes glassy.

When Minho picked her up, he felt her grip tighten on his shoulder. Then, a scream passed her lips which made his ears ring. "BEN!" She cried. It all happened so fast. She attacked one of her best friends, saw he'd been stung, and now he was being dragged off like an animal.

"Y/N, chill out." Minho snapped, raising his hand to force her gaze away from the direction in which Ben had gone. She fought the pressure his hand had on her head to see back, but it was useless. Minho held the squirming body in his arms firm until they made it to the Medjack hut.

"Sit down and stay." He told the small runner with a forewarning glare. She obliged, rubbing her knuckles impatiently as he gathered a bucket of water and a cloth.

Minho sat beside her on the bed with a huff, wringing out the cloth. First, he grabbed her hands and began to wipe away the blood. "Tossed a couple good ones, shebean." Minho admitted, almost proudly.

"But it was at Ben." She loathed.

"You did what you had to." Minho reassured, raising the cloth in his hand to her face, asking for allowance. Y/N eyed him suspiciously then nodded.

That was when Minho felt it. As he wiped the blood from her lip, his heart skipped a beat.

He fell hard. He fell fast. Something hit his chest like a freight train. He couldn't breathe. He couldn't move.

"You ok?" Y/N raised an eyebrow, then wincing from the epicentre of pain caused by a punch placed above her brow.

"I do love you." Minho muttered in disbelief. He felt that those words went against everything he'd ever known or believed. He loved someone.

Y/N's face dropped. "Minho, are you thinking straight?"

"I hope so." He squeaked, pursing his lips, face going pale with the sudden realization. His entire world had changed in a matter of seconds, but he certainly wasn't mad about it. "Thomas was right the whole damn time."

"He knew before you?" Y/N laughed lightly at her running partner.

"Apparently." He shrugged, reaching up once again to continue wiping away the blood, a smile on his face rising which wouldn't fall anytime soon.

《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》
IG | | typically.thomas