Breaking Point

By: randomfamdomimagine
From : Tumblr

When he turned his back on me, I sighed knowing that he wouldn’t talk to me. Just like yesterday and the day before and the day before that.

Minho had been silent for such a long time…

Even though we were really close and Minho and I had something special going on –ever since we met in the Scorch, we had been flirting with each other and even if in the end nothing may happen between us, we were definitely good friends after everything we went through -, I had no idea what was happening there.

The rest of the Gladers had gone to the other room, but they refused to move. They looked just too tired to keep going.

That day was different. I felt like I had missed something.

“What happened?” I dared to ask, but none of my friends replied.

I took a look at one and another.

Minho was facing his back to me, his broad shoulders tight and stiff. He looked angry, restless.

Thomas stared at the floor, shocked and almost traumatized. Then he faced his palms to his face and watched them with a distorted expression.

What was going on?!

I took a look around, trying to figure out what haunted them. And I noticed that Newt still wasn’t here.

The famous trio that formed Minho, Thomas and Newt had become just a poor duo in which the both of them were apparently devastated.

I knew what happened with Newt. I knew he wasn’t immune and that he got the Flare and he went with the rest of the Cranks as to not infect anyone else or put his friends in danger.

“Maybe there’s still hope for Newt” I told them, trying to throw some positivity and maybe cheer them up even if I knew it was almost impossible. One doesn’t recover from something like this so easily. “I mean… he isn’t a Crank yet, right?”

Thomas sobbed loudly and hid his face on his hands, facing his back to us so we wouldn’t see him cry.

“What the shuck did you just say, shuck face?” Minho suddenly yelled, completely enfuriated.

“I… I…” I stuttered, not really knowing what I said to upset them so much.

“Don’t you talk about him, you hear?!” Minho exclaimed angrily, making me stare at him wide-eyed. “Not a shuck word about Newt!”

“I didn’t say anything, just that-“ He didn’t even let me finish as he approached with the speed and ferocity of an hectic animal.

“You don’t know jack about him, Y/N!” Minho shouted as he slammed his hands against the wall that was behind me, trapping me in between it and his own body. “So shut up!”

I closed my eyes tight, knowing that the former Runner wasn’t thinking clearly and he was dangerous when he got reckless.

The poor boy was crazily lost in his own pain.

But I understood what he meant.

I had no right to talk about Newt. To talk about anything that had to do with the Maze. Because I hadn’t been there.

I met them on the Scorch. And I met Newt as well, just enough time to realize what a wonderful person he is.

Still, I could not talk about what I didn’t know. And I wasn’t in the Maze.

No matter how many different stories they told me about it or how many times they would describe what that fear when watching a Griever felt like, I would never actually experience it.

“I’m sorry…” I managed to let out even if I was scared and felt apprehensive about the whole situation. “I didn’t mean anything, Minho, I promise, I-“

“Just… shut up” Minho’s dark eyes were fixed on me, but he dropped his head forward tiredly and sighed.

“I’m sorry” I repeated, this time referring to everything that he and Thomas and all the surviving Gladers were going through. I felt genuinely sorry for them, because I wished they had something better.

“I said shut up!” His words held a great amount of anger, but his tone was broken and defeated.

Deciding to do as he said, I closed my mouth and remained silent. I stood motionless in front of him as well, waiting to see what he did.

Minho’s arms lowered slowly and his shoulders fell tiredly.

My mouth dropped back open when I heard something that I was almost convinced I had imagined. A sob.

“Minho?” I cautiously whispered.

He could not be crying. Of all the people in the world, Minho was the one I would never expect to see cry.

He was human after all, but if he had to cry he would do it in private, to make sure no one saw him.

His pride always kept him from showing weakness. He was incredibly strong, both physically and mentally. He was stubborn, pigheaded, a tough guy.

I could not wrap my head around the idea of Minho crying. Of Minho crying right in front of me.

“He’s gone…” Minho whispered even though his voice sounded strangled through his many sobs. For the first time he sounded… broken.

“Minho…” I felt the urge to cry as I watched him crumble, so I put a hand on his shoulder carefully to show him my support.

Quickly, he took it and put it away, holding it tight. But I didn’t know if he was still angry and rejected my comforting touch and support or if he was so broken that he was embracing it in desperation.

“Newt’s gone…”

Suddenly, I found myself being embraced by his arms. He was hugging me, clutching to my frame as if I were the only thing that could keep him from giving in completely to the sorrow that was eating him alive.

He shoved his face on my shoulder and sobbed silently there as he held me tight, squeezing me for comfort.

“I’m sorry, Minho…” Was all I could think of saying as I let him cry on my shoulder and caressed his hair sweetly. “I’m sorry…”

I bit my lip to keep myself from crying too as he shook over me.

“We lost him, Y/N…” Minho managed to whisper in between sobs. “He’s gone”

“I know, sweetie…”

Absently, I looked over at Thomas, who was still crying too.

The both of them had lost so many things because of WCKD. So many things that I wondered how they managed to be still on their feet with that incredibly heavy void that had to be filling their hearts.

But losing Newt to the Flare was by far the most painful one.

I wanted to tell him that it would be okay. That everything would get better.

But honestly, I wasn’t sure anymore.

Minho had overcome the Maze. The Grievers, the imprisonment, the people that went through the Changing, the nightmares, the fear, the dark times and the memory wipe. The Scorch with its heat, Cranks, lightning storms and exhausting desert.

He had survived WCKD and that horrible third trial that threatened to destroy the last bit of sanity he had left.

And he had never complained about none of that. Not when he told me he got trapped in the Maze overnight and almost didn’t make it. Not when he was struck by lightning. Nothing at all.

But after one of his best friends had been infected with the Flare virus and become a Crank, he couldn’t take it anymore. All that rage, helplessness and pain he had been holding back burst out. He just exploded, unable to take it anymore.

After all he had been through, only now did he lose it. Even if Minho had been so incredibly strong.

But everyone’s got a breaking point. And his was what happened to Newt after fighting so much.

《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》
IG | | typically.thomas