forgotten

By: canyouevencauseicant
From: Tumblr

Three years. You had known Minho for three years, and probably even longer than that before they administered the Swipe. But now, as you sat on your bed in the shack you had been assigned to in Paradise, you seemed to have faded from his memories. He no longer looked at you, nor sought you out or even tried to find you or talk to you. You seemed to have disappeared from existence, as far as Minho was concerned.

And it broke your heart into pieces.

You could feel your eyes burning with tears as you remembered all the memories you had shared with Minho. All the sass, the jokes, the badly-timed puns, the tears and the comfort that you had between the two of you, everything. And the more you dwelled on it, the more your heart broke. Had you meant absolutely nothing to him? Had everything that had happened between the two of you been just a joke or dream? Endless questions swirled around in your mind, and they tortured you constantly. You longed to ask him all the questions you had, but you were terrified of what the answers would be. So, you stayed silent, always watching him from afar.

“(Y/N), you have to talk to him at some point,” Frypan had told you once at one lunchtime, placing his hands on top of yours, “I’m sick of seeing you constantly looking like a lost puppy. Talk to Minho.” “I can’t, Fry,” you sighed, glancing over at the handsome and strong young man you loved so dearly. “He’s forgotten me. I haven’t spoken to him in months, but I still love him. Just as much as I did in the Maze, and in the Scorch, just as much as before,“ you confessed, your gaze stuck on Minho, watching him as he laughed and spoke with some of his other friends. Your heart clenched uncomfortably in your chest, and you looked down, tears stinging your eyes. “But what’s stopping you from talking to him?” Frypan asked, “Because you don’t have to wait for him to seek you out if you’re hurting so bad.” “I’m afraid to hear what he’d say,” you mumbled quietly, not meeting Frypan’s gaze. After a few moments of tense silence, Frypan spoke up, “I’ll talk to him. I’ll tell him what he’s doing. He’s bound to realize it.” You smiled weakly at the boy sitting across from you, your heart not really into it, before nodding, “Alright. But I’m gonna go back to my shack in the meantime. You know where to find me if you need me.”

With that, you stood up and swiftly began walking away from the lunch/communal area, and headed back to your shack. You were deep in thought once again, thinking about the potential outcomes of the situation of Frypan telling Minho that he has forgotten you altogether. It wasn’t until a sharp, burning smell reached your nose that you snapped out of it and looked up; in the distance, there was a thick cloud of dark smoke, and you could faintly hear yelling. Your heart leapt into your throat as you broke into a sprint; your old Runner training kicked in after a couple seconds and you sprinted faster than ever. When you arrived, you were greeted with a horrific sight; a shack was burning down, and people were either standing by in shock, being restrained to prevent them going inside, running off to get help, or tending to the wounded. “The children!” Somebody shouted, “The children are still inside!”

Your heart plummeted at that, and you decided then and there that the deaths of children were not going to be part of your guilty conscience, knowing you did nothing to help. So, without further delay, you dashed straight into the burning building. The heat was unbearable and the smoke was thick and suffocating. You covered your nose and mouth with your t-shirt, and continued deeper into the building. You broke down the doors of every room, and eventually, you found the two children that had been mentioned earlier. You swiftly grabbed them, and carried them out of the burning building. You had just managed to hand the second kid over to the person standing outside the doorway when a loud crash came from above you.

Then, suddenly, the entire building collapsed, and the world went dark.

*****MINHO’S POV*****