Chapter 52

I set my tray down at our table and sat down next to Alice. She still had her head down and was pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration. Suddenly, her head popped up and she glared at me.

“Look, Amber, you’re my best friend, and I love you, but let it go,” She said harshly. I widened my eyes and shook my head frantically.

“I am not letting it go! It’s outrageous!” I protested. Alice just gave me a flat look.

“I mean, if you are going to spend millions of dollars to advertise something, at least use correct grammar! Really? “Got” milk! I bet English teachers everywhere are going crazy! I really want to carve the words, “do you have milk” into their foreheads with a knife,” I continued my rant on the incorrect milk advertisement that was posted in about a million different places throughout the school.

Alice began to bang her head repeatedly on the table. “Make.” Thump. “It.” Thump. “Stop!” Thump.

“Everything okay over here?” Noah asked sliding into the chair next to me. Alice paused from giving herself a concussion momentarily and looked at Noah with frantic eyes.

She shot out of her chair and leaned across the table to grip Noah’s upper arms.

“Run. Away. Now. Save yourself,” She said dramatically.

 Noah shot her a questioning look but my eyes zeroed in on Alice’s hands which were still holding onto Noah. Alice quickly let go and sent a sheepish grin my way.

“Run away from what?” Noah asked, completely oblivious to our short exchange. Alice got a crazy look in her eyes and she collapsed on the table in defeat.

Doing so make my spoon spring up and sent a spoonful of ketchup my way. I scowled as it hit me square in the face.

“Watch it,” I grumbled while wiping it off with some napkins. I didn’t have to look at Noah to know that he was holding back laughter.

“Amber, tell him,” Alice said, placing a hand over her forehead theatrically. I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t you think that the “Got Milk” ads are a little stupid? They could at least use correct grammar if they are going to spend a million dollars advertising,” I pointed out. Noah nodded in thought.

“You’re right. That has always bothered me,” He said. I was sure I was literally grinning from ear to ear.

“Thank you!” I cried, sending a smug smirk Alice’s way. She shook her head.

“Unbelievable,” She mumbled. I laughed proudly as Noah put an arm around me and kissed the top of my head. Despite my best efforts, I felt a blush spread across my face.

“Freak,” Lexi said casually to Alice, who was still sprawled across the table.