Chapter 16

I handed in my test wincing. I really hope I get a decent grade, although I doubt that would happen. I just scribbled nonsense on the essay, hoping it would pass off as being related to the subject.

I found that Noah was waiting at the door for me, wearing an expression that was similar to how I felt.

“You did really bad too, huh?” He asked. I nodded my head and began to head towards our next class. Suddenly I’m slammed against the locker.

I winced again as the hard metal came in contact with the back of my head.

“Can you please stop slamming me into lockers every single day,” I asked Lexi, not really having enough energy for a better comeback. She smirked.

“I think you should have consequences for the way you talked to me Friday,” She said, a stupid grin plastered onto her face. I rolled my eyes.

“What do I have to do?  Go for a week without getting a manicure? Oh, the horror!” I exclaimed sarcastically. Lexi sighed.

“You brought this on yourself,” She said dramatically. She took a few steps away from me, then that’s when I realized the whole cheer team had circled around us and was holding a can of fruit punch. My eyes widened as they all opened them at the same time.

I brought my hands up to cover my face, but it was too late. All 40 girls on the team had poured their drink over in my direction. My eyes stung from the liquid that had entered them. I could hear my heart pounding in my ear, but that didn’t muffle the sound of laughing. I glanced around to see everyone was laughing. And they were laughing at me.

I turned and shoved myself through the crowd. I ran into the girl’s bathroom, hoping I could have safety in there. Much to my happiness, I found that it was empty. Then, before anyone could walk in and further my humiliation, I ran into a stall and locked myself in.

I sat down on the toilet, not caring how gross it was and sobbed. I knew I was crying over something stupid, I should change and keep my head held high, but I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing.

I leaning my head against the dark blue stall doors and let my emotions control my body. I heard a voice calling out my name, but I let my sobs tune it out. They were probably coming back for more.

“Please just go away,” I croaked out. They continued to call my name but I ignored them. As their cries became louder, I realized it was a male voice. I tried to stop crying to focus on their voice. I managed to, but my breathing was shallow as I gasped for breath.

“Amber! Please open this door. Please!” I heard it call out. It took me a few seconds to realize the voice belonged to Noah, but when I did I yanked open the door, needing to be in his embrace.

The first thing I saw was his expression, which looked furious. But as I came into his view, it rearranged into a concerned one.

He immediately reached out and pulled me tightly to his chest. I rested my head on his chest, waiting for the sobs to return, but they never did. Instead, I stayed silent, apart from my ragged breathing.