Chapter 40

I took a deep breath and walked into school with my head held high. The shower scene that had taken place only ten minutes ago replayed in my head. I earned a few curious looks at my beet red face but I brushed them off. I couldn’t believe that I practically begged Noah to do it with me. Especially since I’ve been so freaked about him using me for that very thing.  He was right; I really did need to thank him since the heat of the moment has passed. I’ll thank him as soon as I can look at him without blushing.

                “I’ll see you in first period, okay?” Noah confirmed. I nodded and smiled at him.

                “Sure, I’ll try not to fall in a ditch in the next ten minutes,” I said. He gave a short chuckle.

                He didn’t let go of my hands as he took a step backwards and started to walk away. When we couldn’t get any farther apart, he kissed my hand and dropped it. I took a moment to stare at him in awe as he walked away. He really was nothing like I had expected. It made me like him even more.

                I headed straight to my locker. It seemed like everyone was looking at me, like they were waiting for me to trip and fall or something. I even caught a small group of freshman looking at me as I walked by and giggling.

                At first, I thought had something in my teeth. Since I didn’t have a mirror to check, I discreetly used my finger to imitate a tooth brush. But the stares continued.

                I quickly checked my outfit, to see if I had somehow missed getting food all over me somehow. I was wearing a purple shirt with a pink imprint of the word LOVE written sideways. It was slightly see through so I had to wear a pink under-shirt. I wore it with a pair of black skinny jeans and my usual black and white converse. Nothing out of the ordinary. Well, I had bought this really cute necklace at Target. It had a silver chain and a silver owl clipped to it. On the owl’s side and back, there was an intricate design of little birds. It was nice but surely it couldn’t have caused this much attention.

                As I spun the code into my locker, it seemed everyone was huddled around me, just staring at me. Now I knew I wasn’t being paranoid and imagining it. Nearly fifty people were gathered around and just looking at me.

                Just ignore them, Amber. Whatever rumor they heard isn’t true. Just ignore them.

                My fingered started to tremble and I missed the last number of my combination. I tried again.

                As soon as I yanked my locker open, a white substance oozed out of it. I quickly jumped back to avoid it getting on me.

                                Well that explains all the weird staring. They probably knew this was going to happen.

                My first impression was that the strange substance was frosting. Then the strong odor of aftershave hit me and I realized it was shaving cream. It wasn’t hard to figure out who was responsible. Lexi and her little posse stared proudly at their work.