Chapter 32

Noah’s POV

                A ringing sound filled my ears, making me groan. Although my eyes remained closed, bright light slipped through my eye lids. I had to cover my closed eyes with my hand just to see darkness again.

I remember the ringing sound and was forced to open my eyes. My pounding headache blocked out any outside sound so I had to manually search for my ringing phone. It lay on my side table, shaking slightly.

“Hello?” I grumbled into the phone without checking the caller ID.

Drake and I had spent all last night drinking and playing video games. I had been pissed at him for so long and it was good to finally have my best friend back. Although, my hangover was telling me to reconsider my gratitude.

“Noah?” Amber’s soft voice quivered. I shot up in bed, all sleepiness gone.

“Amber? What’s wrong, where are you?” I asked.

I sling my feet off the side off the bed and dig through my closet for a set of clothes. Once I find them, I hold my phone in place with my shoulder as I slip on my jeans.

“Nothing’s wrong. Where are you? Why weren’t you in school today?” She bombarded me with her own questions.

Her words sunk in. Was it really that late? I glanced at the time to see it was already halfway through second period.  That meant I had missed two hours and a half of time with Amber! Disappointment flooded through me but I made myself focus on her questions.

“Overslept,” I told Amber. She sniffed, making me freeze.

“Amber, are you crying?” I asked her.

The mere thought nearly broke my heart. What would be so cruel to make this perfect girl cry? I mentally slapped myself for not being there when it happened.

“No!” She said quickly. I frowned.

I had not missed how her voice broke slightly at the end.

“Amber, don’t lie to me,” I warned. When I was answered with silence, I asked a new, more important question. “Where are you?”

“A few blocks away from school,” She said.

The more she spoke, the more terrified she sounded. I started to worry. Was she surrounded? Did someone have her at gunpoint? I imagined the horrifying image of someone holding a gun to her head and I shuddered.

“Amber, what’s wrong?” I asked her.

I was already out the door and climbing into my car. I shoved my keys into the ignition and pulled out of the driveway quickly.

“Nothing! It’s just that- Noah I’m really scared, can you come and get me?” She asked. Her voice shook as she spoke, making my hands tighten around the wheel.

“I’ll be there soon. Do you want to keep me on the phone?” I asked soothingly.

“Yeah,” She croaked.

As I made a turn, I realized I had forgotten to put on a shirt in my hurry. I quickly pushed the thought out of my mind, wanting to stay focused.

“I’m almost there. Can you tell me exactly where you are?” I asked, making another turn.

“I’m not really sure. I started walking to my house my minutes ago,” She told me. I racked my brain for the quickest way to get there. Thankfully, I remembered a back road Drake had showed me a couple years ago.