Chapter 18

Noah’s POV

I stopped my car in front of my unusually huge house with a sigh. My mom was due home any day and the anxiety had me on edge. But what really had my hands clenching into fist was what I knew was waiting inside. I opened the car door and strolled towards the house, trying to delay being inside as long as possible. Finally, when I could wait no longer, I opened the front door and groaned as I saw him.

“Hey big bro. How’s life been? I wouldn’t know, because you’re never home,” Drew said with a smirk, almost identical to mine. I ignored him and pushed past him to get to my room.

“You know what I don’t understand. Why do you even go to school? Mom is never home, nobody is making us. Think of it, lounging all day and partying all night!” He called out from behind me. Drew was sixteen but claimed getting an education was overrated and he didn’t need one.

“Because Drew,” I began, spinning around to face him. His grin made my teeth automatically clench. I wanted to smack it right off, but I had to control myself.

“Some people want to get a job when they’re older,” I informed him for what seemed to be the hundredth time. He scoffed.

“You know Dad. He has connections. He can get me a job,” He said. My hands clenched into a fist and I had to restrain myself from punching him. I tried to take a few calming breaths.

“He’s not my father,” I growled. Drew smirked; proud he was having an effect on me.

“But he’s mine,” Drew said. Drew and I weren’t actually related; his father married my mother about three years ago, even though they had been having an affair for much longer.

I spun back around and rummaged through my room for a fresh pair of clothes. Then, as quickly as humanly possible, I shoved them on. I took a deep breath and reopened my room door, only to meet the smoldering eyes of Drew. Again, my jaw grinded together.

“So how’s my stepsister,” He asked, his voice going deeper than normal.  My control snapped as I pulled my arm back and punched him in the face. I smiled darkly as I heard the satisfying crack of his nose. Drew groaned but pulled himself up, trying to look unaffected. Before I could hit him again, I took one deep breath.

“Would it really be all that bad if I tapped that? I mean she might be my half-sister but Mmmm,” He said grinning. The rage boiled through my blood as I snapped my arm back and hit him harder.

 “Don’t you dare talk about her like that,” I snarled. I don’t know why, but ever since I found out that Drew and Amber were related, I seemed to hate him more. Maybe it was because of whose blood he shared.

Amber’s father had been secretly having an affair with my mother for a very long time, since my birth father died when I was very young. Then, at the start of our second year in high school, they married. After that, Drew was brought into our family. His mother was one of Amber’s father’s pervious affairs, but we could never know exactly who. She bolted as soon as she gave birth to Drew.

And now, just hearing him say those things about Amber, especially since he shared that monster’s blood, made my furious. It didn’t help that I recently found out the full story of what he did to her. I shuddered involuntarily as the awful image ran through my head.

Blood was trickling down the side of his face as he struggled to give me another grin.

“Say hi to her for me!” He called out as I stormed out the door. I ignored my car, wanting to feel the wind in my face and jumped on my motorcycle. I kicked the engine to life and let the familiar grumble calm me.