Chapter 29

It seemed as if all movement in my body had stopped. I was frozen in place as I listened to the mysterious person stumble around downstairs.

Common sense was knocked back into me as I heard footsteps ascending the stairs.

More terrified than before, I dove into my closet, being sure to swiftly, and quietly shut the door behind me. As I hid myself behind my piles of old shoes and dirty clothes, I cursed myself for not bringing my phone with me. If I had it, I might have been able to make a desperate 911 call, possibly saving myself from being murdered by the burglar in my house.

Deciding to risk being caught, I silently rose from my hiding spot and creaking open the door. Not wasting a single moment, I dug through everything I had. Just as I found my phone buried underneath my covers, a door closed fairly close down the hall.

Blinded by fear, I dove under the bed into safety. It was a tight fit, but I managed to squeeze in. It was only when I heard footsteps stomping closer did I realized that my first hiding spot might have done a better job of shielding me.

My bedroom door opened with an audible creak as my future killer crept into the room. My hands started to tremble as I caught sight of their black sneakers they wore on their feet.

A small whimper of fear escaped my lips. Immediately, I slapped my hands over my mouth, causing a slapping noise to further give me away. The feet tensed and paused. Then slowly, kneecaps came into view as they crouched next to the bed.

I saw their sky blue shirt, pairing nicely with the dark jeans they were wearing. A face popped in front of me, making a shrill scream of terror escape me.

“Boo!” Tyler yelled playfully. He took hold of my arms and forcibly dragged me out from under my bed.

“You scared me!” I screamed at him, while making sure to give him my best intimidating glare. Tyler, however, was unfazed as he gave a hearty chuckle.

“You should have heard yourself scream! It was like a serial killer was murdering you or something,” My older brother laughed, ruffling my hair with his hands. I scowled at how close he was with his accusation.

“What are you doing here?” I  asked with a smile. With all traces of my previous sour mood gone, I threw my arms around my only brother. Tyler immediately returned the cheerful hug.

“I decided to come down from campus and visit my favorite sister!” He told me, an excited tone evident in his voice. I rolled my eyes.

“I’m your only sister,” I pointed out. He pulled away from his hug to grin at me. This moment was starting to seem a bit cliché to me.

“Exactly! You’re lucky too. Trust me, if I had more sisters, you definitely wouldn’t be my favorite,” He said. And Tyler makes the moment original. Deciding to ignore the insult, I pulled him in for another bear hug.

“I missed you, big bro,” I said. Tears were pricking at my eyes but I refused to let them fall for fear of ruining Tyler’s perfectly good shirt.