Chapter 43

Amber’s POV

“Are you sure about this?” Noah asked. I rolled my eyes and nodded my head for what seemed like the thousandth time today.

“I am absolutely certain.” Ever since we’d gotten up this morning, Noah had been on edge. He kept looking at me like I could crack and break down. It was bugging the heck out of me, but at the same time, I was grateful that he cared. Right now, he was trying to talk me out of not going to second period, where Drew was most likely waiting for me.  I was determined not to let Drew have the satisfaction of surrender, but Noah was the exact opposite.

He sighed in defeat. He turned around, but lingered by the door for a few seconds.

“Noah,” I warned. He gave me an I can’t help it grin over his shoulder.

He spun around and quickly closed the distance between us. He cupped my face in his hands and touched his lips to mine.

An electric shock sparked through my body, making me freeze. By the time I was over the shock, he had pulled away and retreated down the hall.

“Noah!” I called out. He smirked at me over his shoulder and walked even faster. Once he was out of sight, I pressed two fingers to my lips. They were slightly numb from the contact, making the memory even more powerful. It seemed as if Noah had a bigger and bigger effect on me every day.

I sighed and pushed open the door. As usual, Drew’s seat was empty, but I wouldn’t let my hopes up yet. Being late was something he did daily, and I would have to learn to expect it.

The bell rang. I counted to ten in my head and waited for Drew to waltz through the door. Thirty seconds passed and Drew didn’t appear. Mrs. Flemming started to speak, but I tuned her out. Sixty seconds. No Drew. After a full five minutes and no sign of him, I was soaring.

We had been instructed to create a portfolio of our person so far and I was the first done. My happiness converted into energy as I got Drew’s done as well before time was called.

All through the period, I soared through every assignment, but I didn’t get much time to lean back and relax. I was in charge of twice as much since drew wasn’t here. I didn’t care. I loved the fact that I was hard at work and my mind was constantly busy. It was impossible to daydream. It was very refreshing.

I was almost sad when the bell rang an half hour later. I gathered my books into my hand and was the first out of the door.

“Hi,” I said to Noah, who appeared beside me.  He had been leaning on the wall beside the door and had sprung up to walk beside me.

“Hi. Why the rush?” He asked. I realized I was walking abnormally fast and forced my feet to slow down, but the movement felt wrong.

“I’m not sure. I’m just in a really good mood,” I said. He gave me a weird look.

“Good mood? I was expecting the opposite,” He confessed. Oh, he must have thought that having to be next to Drew for an hour might have killed my spirits.

“Drew wasn’t here today and ever since I found out, I’ve been in a great mood,” I said. A happy, slightly hysterical smile slid onto my face. Noah chuckled.

“I hope he leaves you alone for good.” I didn’t bother to respond. We made a quick detour to my locker so I could switch books, but then we were back on track.

I groaned as I saw Lexi approaching us. I clutched Noah’s hand and pushed up on my toes to whisper in his ear.

“Can we avoid her? I’m in a good mood,” I said. Noah shivered but nodded.