6- Killed

6- Kidnapped by Vampires? But it's My Time of the Month!

------------------------------------L

"My...brother?" I whisper.

Derrick suddenly comes through the door again, reminding me of earlier. "Hey Daniel, is she awake ye-

"Oh," he cuts himself off.

All the while Daniel looks at me with those unreadable eyes. I told you, they have a problem with it. Didn't they ever learn that it's rude to stare?

"Um, sorry to interrupt Daniel, but we never had dinner last night and... well, you know," Derrick says.

Wait, last night? Was I really that tired from puking I slept all night? Daniel blinks his eyes a couple a times as if he has just came out of a trance.

"Yes, yes, you're right Derrick, tell the boys to get ready," he says.

Daniel stands up. "I'll be back Lilly. Eleanor will be here if you need anything," he says as he walks out the door.

Derrick looks back at me sitting on the bed and I swear I can see something flicker in his eyes, something that I can't describe. He doesn't leave me time to dwell on it though because he has already walked out and shut my door behind him. I throw my body back onto the bed and let out a huge sigh.

"I can't believe this is happening to me. I can't believe he could just walk out and leave me here right after I find out he's my brother. What I don't get is why he said he couldn't come back to Mom and Dad after the man rescued him. An outcast to society? What is he talking about?" I ramble to myself out loud.

I really need to get up and do something or this is going to drive me crazy. He better give me back my iPod soon. At least I think it was him that took it. I don't see it anywhere. And what about Mom? She's probably worried sick. Doesn't she know her son is still alive? After dad died 4 years ago in that car accident, my mother has never been the same. Maybe this is the kind of cheering up she needs.

"I'm going to go look around," I decide.

I've been in this room way too long. Walking out into the same hallway Derrick had pulled me into, I try and decide my next move.

"Hmm, I wonder if they have a TV room or something."

I continue walking down the hallway until I get to a flight of stairs. THE flight of stairs actually. The same ones that tried to kill me. So not wanting a replay of what happened yesterday, especially when no one is there to catch me in deliciously sculpted arms, I decide to slide down the stairs on my butt.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, OW!" I land on the floor at the bottom.

I slowly get to my feet and rub my now sore bum. Arriving at the end of the hall I find what I'm looking for. The TV.

"Yes!" I yell.

I love the TV. I run over to the couch that's situated in front of the huge television set and get situated on it. I find the changer and turn the giant flat-screen television on. Hitting the up button looking for anything good, I see the local news.

"Well since I can't participate in society at the present I guess I should probably see what's been happening." I watch for a little while and doze off when something that the man is saying makes me tune back in.

"Back to the story we covered yesterday on Jennifer O'Brate after this commercial break," the reporter says.

That's my mom's name. Why did they just say her name? My eyes stay glued to the TV waiting for the commercials to be over. Finally, it comes back on.

"The same Jennifer O'Brate of Oklahoma County found dead in her home yesterday also had a daughter that went missing two days ago her school principal reports. No one has reported seeing Lilly O'Brate anywhere during the time of her mother's murder. DNA testing is still being worked on for any leads as to who could be responsible for this gruesome killing. Ms. O'Brate was found decapitated in her house by police after neighbors began to worry that they hadn't seen either of the two women in a while. Today we learned officials are still having difficulties with obtaining any type of blood samples at the scene. Not even from the victim herself. Neighbors also claim they neither heard nor saw anything unusual on the night of the murder. We also ask if you have seen this girl, please contact your local police department immediately."

My school picture from my junior year is now up on the screen. I sit there on the couch unseeing for what seems like a lifetime. I hear a door slam sometime later and voices coming my way.

"Lilly! Lilly! We're home!" I barely hear Derrick yell.

Soon, they find me sitting on the edge of the couch with my elbows on my knees and my eyes looking ahead without really seeing. Daniel comes to crouch down in front of me and looks at me intently.

"What's wrong Lilly?" he whispers. I don't respond for a long time and my voice is horse and raspy when I do.

"She's dead."

The tears that held themselves back finally decide to spill over and my wails echo off the walls making me sound like a different person. The pain that had been growing inside swallows me whole, the emotions of despair and helplessness crowding any thoughts I might have had. My consciousness feels as if it is being stomped on with grief when all of a sudden I feel cool fingers place themselves on my temple. Then everything goes dark.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------