35- Pinned

-----------------------------L

I think its been long enough. I thought about it, and I really don't want to die in a closet.

After I change my clothes, I peek my head out. This time looking at the window and the door just to be safe.

"Hello?"

Not hearing a reply I walk out cautiously. In the silence of my room my stomach growls. I guess it's time for me to go to the kitchen. I wonder if Eleanor is around. Please please please don't let me run into Cai.

Rounding the corner to go into the kitchen I arrive to a couple of pairs of eyes turning to look at me. Great.

"Lilly." Daniel smiles and walks over to me and hugs me tightly. Too tightly.

"Daniel...too...much..." He releases me and places his hands on my shoulders giving me the once over.

"Are you alright? He didn't hurt you did he? Because I swear-"

"Daniel. I'm fine. David didn't hurt me. Well not really. But I'm fine." I roll my eyes at him.

"Oh I was talking about Cai but as long as you're okay." He lets me go and then walks back over to the bar and sits by Derrick and sighs. He looks down and puts his head in his hands which is rather out of character for him. It's rare my brother shows any emotion like this. Not even when my mother died did he do this.

"Daniel..." I start but I don't really know how to finish. My brother and I aren't really that comfortable yet.

The kitchen feels rather empty without the usual bunch and it's strange seeing Derrick and Daniel sitting together at all. I frown a bit and then walk over to the fridge and pull out some milk for cereal. After I eat in silence and Derrick and I exchange a brief greeting, I go in search for at least one other person who doesn't look so gloomy.

"I give up," I say after awhile. "This house is too dang big." I plop down onto the living room couch where I found out my mother died. I really miss her at times like these. We weren't close close like some mothers and daughters, but at least I could tell her my troubles and she'd listen.

What is this gloom over the household? It's almost palpable. I lean my head back and soon my eyelids begin to droop. I start when I feel cool lips touch my forehead.

"Cai." I smile sleepily until my embarrassment returns from earlier and I look down, my cheeks hot. He chuckles at me, probably knowing what I'm already thinking about.

"How was your breakfast?" He asks while sitting next to me.

"Good." I say absentmindedly.

"Cai, what is going on? Why is my brother acting like that? I've never seen him that troubled before." He pulls me into his chest and wraps his arms around me while resting his chin on the top of my head.

"Wouldn't you be devastated if you found out your best friend, whom you trusted, betrayed you? Even to the point of killing your parents all for the sake of having your sister?" He says sadly.

"Well when you put it that way..." I frown, putting my arms around his abdomen. "But why? Why did David do that? Why am I so important to him?"

Cai stays quiet for a few seconds then he takes a deep breath.

"Because you're mine Lilly. Because you're my Bloodmate."

"Blood what?" I ask, pulling away from him and looking into his emerald colored eyes.

"It's a bond between a human and a vampire that is very rare. Since Saylen was sired to me, he felt the effects too. I turned him first so he got the blunt of it." He stares off into space and brushes his hand through my hair slowly.

"Ah. I see. And Saylen was his real name then." I state. "My brother, what was his name?"

He focuses back on my face and gives me a small, sad, smile. "Adam. His name is Adam. It might cheer him up if you call him that from now on. Ren too. And if I can help it, you'll never have to address Saylen ever again."

I look down. "And Dylan? "Your son?" I whisper.

He sighs a deep sigh and frowns. "He's not my son, Lilly. Saylen killed him."

My head snaps back up. "What? But-"

"I know. I know." He puts his hand to my cheek softly and brushes hair from my face. "The man that we brought back has no ties to me anymore. His human blood was the only thing that made him my son in the first place. Even his body was older than the one I'm in now. When David turned him though, that was gone. I don't even know how much he remembers. The way vampires view family is very different from a human's point of view. But because I am who I am and Dylan was half-human, he never had much of what you would call a family." Cai clenches up his fist and hurt washes over his face.

Tears form in my eyes and I shift to my knees and bring his head to my chest as his arms wrap around my waist.

"I'm so sorry. Everything is my fault. If it wasn't for me, David never would have done any of this." I say quietly.

Cai pulls back and looks me in the eyes. "No. It's not your fault. Don't ever think that. He made those choices on his own and now he will pay for them." Cai kisses me softly on the lips and then gets up from the couch.

"Speaking of Saylen, I have to go check to see if the preparations have been made. I'll be back in a little while, love. Go talk to your brother, he really needs it." His gives me a gentle smile and a kiss on the forehead, then leaves as quickly as he came.

I slouch back down on the couch with a sigh and wipe the stray tears from my cheeks. I lay my head on the armrest, closing my eyes. I'll do what Cai says, just not right now. I don't know what I'll say to my brother.

As I'm thinking what I'll tell Daniel with my thumb and forefinger over my eyelids, I feel a rush of wind on my face. I smile.

"I thought you said you were leav-" I stop mid sentence while sitting up. Now propped up on my elbows, I stare with wide eyes into red, calculating ones.

"Uhhh......Dylan?" Suddenly I'm pinned down to the couch. I gasp in surprise.

"What are you doing!?" I yelp.

He tilts his head as if assessing me then moves mine to the side roughly, exposing my neck. To my horror, his teeth, which are now much sharper and sinister, begin to elongate.

Crap, I know where this is going.

Honestly, I'm not sure if a couch is much better than a closet.