44- Returned

Sorry for the long wait!
The song is This Time by Prinze George.
----------------------------M

My eyes flutter open and they rest on a ceiling made of some strange upholstery. I feel myself moving and look to my right where I see the world rushing by at a speed I didn't think possible for a carriage.

"You've awoken." A voice says to my left.

I snap my head to the direction of the voice and my breath catches in my throat.

"Caiaphas..." I breathe out.

My lover smiles. Bringing his hand to my cheek, he brushes stray tears that have started to roll down them.

"It worked, love. The ceremony worked. We've all been reborn," he says happily.

"I thought I told you to forget about this if something bad happened. You died along with us." I frown slightly while clutching on to his familiar hand.

"If I didn't risk my life I never would have seen you again and Reylana would've succeeded." He replies calmly, indulging me.

"I know but-"

I clutch my head suddenly at an onset of pain. Unfamiliar memories flood into my mind and I groan unintentionally.

"It's the merge, Melaine. You and Lilly are one now so you will have the memories from this body too." He says gently.

"You're right. I'm not quite the same anymore. This life's memories are short but very vivid compared to my own." I lean my aching head back and close my eyes.

"You will become accustomed to them soon. Her life is now yours and vice versa. It's the reason why your English is near perfect," Caiaphas replies.

"Where and when are we, love? How long were we asleep?" I already know the answer as soon as I ask it. It's the 21st century and I'm living in a state called Oklahoma. This body was aged nearly 18 years when it was turned, just a little bit younger than my old body.

"Yes, you'll find that you know a lot more than you think. It was disorienting to me in the beginning, also. We're heading back to the house to meet with your brother. I'm curious to see how he's coping. Get some rest and I'll wake you when we're there."

I look at him strangely for a second and he seems to understand his mistake. He had taken a memory from his other self with the human girl.

"So you're not quite as accustomed to it as you seem." I smirk.

"You're right. This me seemed to have quite an ego." The side of his mouth turns up in a smile.

"You act like he's somehow different than you were." I chuckle to myself and hear him do the same.

"Although I do not sleep like the human, I will rest my eyes." As I do I listen to the quiet lull of the road and my lover's steady but empty breathing.
----------------------------T
"Adam, are you okay?" A pretty voice asks me to my right. I open my eyes and search for the owner.

A human woman with tear-filled eyes looks down at me. Her long brown hair brushes the side of my arm and I run my eyes over what I can see of her body. I smirk and sit up slowly.

A name pops in my head unbidden.

"Eleanor. It's the first time I've heard such a name but it is quite attractive." I lean in closer to her and she freezes.

"Who are you?" She asks slowly.

"Taro Vianelli. I must have taken over this Adam man's body didn't I? I really didn't think that my sister's plan would work but she did it. Where is she by the way?" I ask, glancing around the strange house.

Eleanor scrambles back into the chair legs and I cock my head at her. This man had feelings for this human. The attraction that forms in me is surprising but not unwelcome. I smile and move towards her in a predators stance on the floor.

"What are you doing?" Her voice is shaky and unsure.

"Well miss, it's been hundreds of years since I've seen a beautiful woman and even longer since I've tasted one." My body is inches from hers and I breathe in her delicious scent.

Her eyes widen in shock and she tries to move away. My hand becomes vice-like on her wrist and I pull her even closer to me.

"I see that this Adam never dared to touch you. What a shame really. I guess you'll be experiencing something new then." I move my lips to her throat and place a gentle kiss where the blood pulsates.

"Stop," she whispers quietly but her eyelids have already fluttered shut.

Taking that as permission, I bite down into her white neck and am filled with pure energy. My strength slowly returns and the woman becomes weak in my arms. Knowing that I should stop, I release her and close the wound.

A noise behind us interrupts me and I look back. My sister strides into the room with her mate in tow, a smile playing on her lips.

"I knew you'd be up to no good, brother." Melaine says jokingly.

"You know me well."
--------------------------------------------