19. Youth

19. Youth – Part 1

    “And if you’re still breathing, you’re the lucky ones. ‘Cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs, setting fire to our insides for fun.” – Daughter. (Listen while reading)

Andie

  Ever since I was little I knew I wouldn’t be the usual teenager. I wouldn’t be band crazed and fashion obsessed. I knew I was going to have a hard life because that’s how my childhood was in the first place. But it somehow ended that way, I had a dramatic life, but not this type of drama.

I never expected to have, or wanted this drama because I had heard of how it was like. I heard of how it felt like your heart had been stepped on, I heard of how the tears were uncontrollable, how broken it was, and it was exactly how I felt right now. And I didn’t want it.

I felt someone crash against me, but I didn’t care to look, I was too shocked and disturbed, and just plainly hurt by the image in front of me. It wasn’t until she spoke that I got out of my trance and realized it was Liz who had bumped against me.

  “Asshole!” She cussed loudly, causing Harry to turn to us and his eyes were met directly with mine. And for the first time in my life I took the right choice and walked away. That’s when the tears really began to spill. My feet began moving faster than what I thought I was capable of, I just felt so suffocated, trapped in there, and I pushed everyone out of my way as I got out.

  And when I did, it was like air had finally reached my lungs because I took the biggest inhale I could as I walked through the parking lot.

  And then my phone ringed, and even though there was a possibility that it was Harry I answered it anyway. All I wanted was a distraction from the pain.

  “Andie,” it was my aunt’s voice, it sounded rough, rushed, and very pained. My breathing stopped.

 I stood in the parking lot, ignoring the cars that honked at me as they tried to pass by. “Aunty?” I said, surprised, “what’s wrong?”

 “Andie,” she sobbed this time, and it was like my feet had frozen solid on the concrete.

“What’s wrong, tell me please?” My heart threatened to jump out of its place. “Where’s mom?”

 There was another sob, and my knees weakened as I plead to her, “auntie, where’s mom?” a small sob left my lips as my mind finally began to connect one with one.

 And then she replied, and my small rant about how I never had a normal life related completely to me now. I never had a normal life, I had a sick mom who could barely support us, my dad had left us and since little I had to take care of both us. I fell into drugs, I almost died, but I survived through it because of her. Because I knew what my death could do to her. I stopped my addiction because of her, I worked my ass off because of her. I loved her – she was my everything. 

    But then again, it seems like fate has taken a disliking towards my life, the pain of Harry’s little act seemed like nothing now, because my aunt’s next words ripped me apart and shattered my complete world. They changed everything.

 Even me.

 “She’s gone.”

.   .    .   .   .

Liz