A Part of My Past

Anna
2 Years Later...

"Mom, the camp is ready," I said, setting a log down in the growing pile.

"Perfect. Thank you, love." Mom took out a piece of flint and steel, beginning to create tiny sparks near the dry logs.

A chill ran through the air, making me shiver. "Mom, we're going to have to find a tavern or something to work in, soon. Winter is getting really close."

She didn't look up. "...Right. Of course," she sighed. "I'll start looking for work, soon."

I sat down and began to rummage through my pack for some food. "Can I help? I'm 10, I should be able to work." I pulled out some dried fruit and jerky. 

Mom untied the waterskin attached to her belt. "Maybe; it depends on the type of work." She took a long drink of the water and then passed it to me. "Make sure to drink a lot of water, tonight. Dried foods will dehydrate you very quickly."

"Yes, Mom." I took a swig, staring into the fire. "Hey, Mom? Where did you learn your survival skills?"

She leaned back on her palms and sighed. "Well...my brother and I were very adventurous as children. Not only that, but we lived in a very poor village. Most of our means of survival depended on what nature gave us," she spoke. "My brother and I would camp a lot. Catch our own food and sleep under the moon. At first, I only did it for fun, but now it's our way of living."

"Wow..." Mom never tells me about her past. Will she finally tell me something, now? "What was your brother like? All you've told me about him is that he is older than you and his name is Blaise."

"Have I really kept so much from you?" She shook her head. "I'm sorry, Little Bird. Well, for starters, he was very stubborn and brash. If he had his mind set on something, you could not change it for anything in the world! But, he was also very kind. Most boys in our village turned to thievery to make ends meet, but he never strayed into that path. He thought that helping others was more rewarding than any payment."

I stared at her in awe. "He sounds amazing! Tell me more!"

She giggled. "We would either love each other unconditionally or hate each other's guts. There was no in-between." A phantom smile painted her lips. "However, we were always together in one way or another. I would be his sparring partner or he would help me study strategy. He was the best brother one could ever hope for..." Tears began to fall from her eyes.

"Mom? What's wrong?" I edged closer to her, ready to hug her. 

She wiped away the tears, shaking her head. "I'm just...recalling the memories, that's all," she sniffled. "When I was 17 and he was 19, a plague swept through our village. The cure for it was easily obtainable, but a lot of people still died from it. In...including my parents." She began to tremble. "There I was, on the cusp of adulthood and my parents didn't even get the chance to see me turn 18."

"Mama..." I reached out and hugged her tight.

She kissed the top of my head. "It was just Blaise and me from that point on. We were inseparable. However, a few months before I turned 19, he told me that he was going to go off and join the Plegian Army." She swallowed thickly. "I was furious. I didn't want him to go. I told him that I would go with him, but he wouldn't allow it. He wanted to keep me safe. Then, one day, he up and left. I haven't seen him since. I dont even know if he's dead or alive."

I could feel her quickening heartbeat.

"In the months that followed, I became more and more restless for something more." She let out a shaky breath. "I wanted adventure; I wanted love. Shortly after I turned 19, I met your father. He said that he was a Grimleal priest who has traveled far and wide. That intrigued me. Our courtship lasted only a few months before he told me he wanted to leave the village; to give me the life I always wanted. I accepted without a second thought. That was the biggest mistake of my life. We lived in a small Grimleal priory for a few months and I thought that everything was perfect."

More tears fell onto my head. "Then...then I became pregnant with you and...and your father changed..." She drew in a sharp breath, crying hysterically and hugging me tightly. "I-I can't talk about this anymore. Not now. I'm so sorry."

I shook my head. "It's ok, Mommy. I understand."

She gave me a grateful nod, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I will tell you more about your father, someday. I promise." Her tears began to dry. "I love you very much, Anna. Out of all of the pain I've experienced, you are my reward. You have made of that worth it."

"I love you, too, Mom."

She wiped her eyes and yawned. "Ah, we best get some sleep. We will find work tomorrow."

I nodded, crawling over to my bedroll and lying down. "Ok. Goodnight!"

"Goodnight."

*****

Yeet. I'm finally out of school! No more schoolwork to worry about! (Ok except for maybe my Honors English work but we're not worrying about that). I have a ton of new ideas for this and I'm so excited to bring them to life! Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!