Chapter 23 - Cold

Song Of The Chapter

Crash Test Dummy by Reed Deming

___

Savannah's POV

"Are you ready?" Ariana asked, slinging her backpack over her shoulder.

I gave her a raised eyebrow, "When am I ever ready for school?"

She laughed at my remark and we started out the front door. I wasn't very excited to go back to school, I probably forgot everything I learned before break which I always do. I just can't wait for the summer.

Starting the car, I checked my phone for any notifications before putting it down and focusing on driving. I pulled out of the driveway and began our journey to the center of me being 100 percent done with school.

"I wonder how the boys are doing." Ariana said, texting away on her cell phone.

"We'll see them in a few minutes, don't worry." I replied, teasing her about Robert.

I parked in my usual spot and huffed a breath before opening the car door and stepping out. Ariana followed closely behind me as we trudged our way towards hell.

The school had not changed one bit and I was dreading it. There were still the different cliques around campus and our hallways were still crowded with kids who had nothing better to do than to hang out in the middle of everyone's path.

I walked up to my oh-so-familiar locker and turned the combination. As I opened it, a note fell out, quickly catching my attention. I picked it up, expecting some admirer's note or something of that sorts. But it was just an old assignment from English I never managed to throw away after it was graded a few months ago. I took the things I didn't need out of my backpack and stuffed them in my locker before shutting it and going off to find my social life.

I found Ariana with Robert at the end of the hallway near some classrooms. I didn't want to bother them, they seemed bothered already by the kids around them. I continued making my way through the building to find Austin. We haven't seen each other often these past days. He's been busy with his music an I guess his career is what he really wants to focus on first. I get it, I'm not very fazed by that fact.

I spotted Austin, wearing his usual hoodie with skinny khakis and crazy colored socks along with some Vans. He looked less dressed up today. Usually, he had all these expensive jackets and shoes, but today he was a little dressed down and more comfortable looking.

While beginning to walked towards Austin, I was bumped in the shoulder by none other than Kailey. She sent me a glare and stood still, crossing her arms at me as she watched me approach Austin. I heard her mutter a quiet 'loser'. I honestly didn't care at all about what she had to say. I kept my composure and continued towards Austin. He was by his open locker and was putting something inside while staring blankly at his phone.

"Hey." I smiled.

He snapped his head up like he had heard a sound, then his eyes fell on me. It was really awkward for a second because neither of us said anything. He gave me a small grin before he turned around to close his locker. Afterwards, he drew his attention back to me and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him as well but he seemed very stiff and uncomfortable.

"Can we talk?" I pulled away from him.

"There's not much to talk about." He murmured, his eyes staring into mine.

I sighed quietly, looking at my feet for a moment. "You heard about-"

"Yeah, I did." Austin angrily interrupted me.