Chapter 22 - Rumor Has It

Song Of The Chapter

Eye of The Needle by Sia

___

Savannah's POV

It was now a day before our winter break ended and school started again. I can't say that I'm excited, but I can't say I'm not. I missed a few of my friends from school who I never got to hang out with during break.

Ariana and I went out to get lunch together since we haven't done something like this for a while. Just the two of us, it was nice.

"How are you and Austin?" She asked as she took a sip from her glass of water.

"I knew you'd ask that..." I shook my head as I let out a laugh. To be honest, I don't know how we are. He's been kind of distant lately. Every time I'm with him, he'll be on his phone texting or checking social media. But it's now like he's shutting me out completely. We still have those romantic relationship moments, but just not as much as we used to.

"Well I want to know. How do you think it'll be when school starts again?"

I sighed quietly, playing with a sugar packet on the table. "I'm just not looking forward to Kailey and her group of friends who find whatever reason to ruin any other girl's chance with Austin. I mean, get over it Kailey."

"Woah, I've never seen you rant on someone like that since the day Elliot broke up with you in the sixth grade." Ariana giggled, referring back to my boyfriend in junior high.

He wasn't even my boyfriend, we only held hands and dated for two weeks; like any other typical middle school relationship. It wasn't bound to last. I still laugh to myself how dumb I was when I was younger.

"I had a right to. Elliot was literally obsessed with me and he was way too clingy. I'm glad I got him over with." I laughed.

"What about Brandon?"

I had completely forgot about Brandon. I haven't seen him in a while and frankly, I'm glad. There's something about his charm and charisma that I just couldn't help but to fall for him over and over. He didn't compare to Austin though. They were different.

"I don't know. I haven't talked to him lately." I answered, swirling my straw around my drink.

"He's pretty hot, I have to admit." Ariana murmured as if she didn't want me to hear.

"What about Robert?" I said teasingly, wiggling my eyebrows as she blushed. I wasn't exactly caught up with the two but the last time I saw them together, they were definitely in love.

"He's alright."

Ariana's phone lit up meaning she got a text. I was too busy eyeing the food that was coming our way to sneak a peek at who she was conversing with. I drooled at the mouth watering focaccia sandwich sitting on the table right in front of me. Ariana seemed to be very intent on her phone as her food was placed in front of her too. I dug in immediately, I didn't even wait for her. My stomach was growling and I was loving this sandwich.

"You haven't talked to Nicole lately have you?" Ariana asked before picking up her fork.

"Why would I? She hates me." I answered, remembering the time when she and Brianna tried to convince Austin that one of them was the girl at the school ball.

"Well apparently she doesn't hate you enough to keep rumors from you."

I blinked twice,"What?"

She gave me her phone and I read their conversation,"She just texted me that people at school have been saying that you slept with Brandon."

I almost choked on my food. Literally, chicken stuck in my throat for a solid three seconds.

"Why would they say that? We haven't seen each other since Christmas." I huffed, clearly outraged, "Why does Nicole have your number anyways?"

"We had a school project together sophomore year. I guess she never deleted it from her phone..." She shrugged, eating a forkful of pasta.

I hand her back her phone and looked back at my once delicious lunch. I suddenly lost my appetite and I sat there for a few minutes, my hand on my forehead as I thought to myself what Austin would think if he heard this. There's no doubt he would hear it. He won't believe it, would he? It's just a stupid rumor. Who the hell thinks of something like that?

___

Here's a little catching up with Savannah and Ariana for you guys!

Vote!

-Lena