Chapter 19 - Call It A Night

Song Of The Chapter
Burning Bridges by OneRepublic

___

Savannah's POV

"You go."

"No, you."

"You."

"Not until you go."

It was like this for a few minutes, none of us wanting to put a card down before the others.

"Austin, I went first three times." I whined as I squirmed around in his lap.

"Fine, I'll go." Alex volunteered, placing a card down on the makeshift table we made out blankets inside the girls' tent.

"I don't understand this game." Ariana sighed, twisting her lips to the side while contemplating her decision of which card to put down. As we all waited for her to make a decision, I felt Austin rest his chin on my shoulder. He placed a soft, feathery kiss on the skin of my neck secretly as his grip around my waist tightened.

Our card game went on for about an hour, none of the players knowing exactly how to play or what the game was called. Basically, we were just putting down random cards. It reached about 7:30 when everyone went off to take a shower or sit by the campfire we made, except Austin and I. We decided we would spend some time together in my tent, just the two of us.

"Are you cold?" Austin asked, noticing that I was shaking a bit.

"No..." I lied, trying to act normal as best I could.

"I can tell you're lying." He smirked, crawling over the sleeping bag towards me. After sitting in front of me, he pulled me into his lap, both of our faces not far from each other's. "Better?"

"Better." I nodded, pecking his lips once. Austin's arms found their spot on my back, like they are usually placed. It was comforting because I knew I was in his arms, safe and where I should be.

It fell silent, surprisingly. Austin continued to sit there, staring lovingly at me, looking at every detail of my face and body. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable. Insecure, to be more exact. I didn't know if Austin was picking out each and every one of my flaws, or just plainly checking me out, but I didn't like it. I've never been the one to feel insecure and all that, but all of a sudden, I was. I guess no one has ever been close enough with me to take the time to examine how I am. This was starting to make me feel unsure of if I was really as brave and confident as I felt. Having someone look at me for that long, at my details and imperfections, was just not very pleasing to me. Sure, I liked when Austin looked at me, who wouldn't? But what was going on inside his head was what bothered me. Not knowing what he was thinking of me had worried me far more than it should have. And this was not good.

As an instinct to not wanting to be seen, I hid my face in Austin's chest, earning a soft chuckle from him. His hand slowly rubbed my back, trying to soothe me. "What's wrong babe?"

"I don't like it when people look at me like that." I said into his chest, my voice muffled.

His hand tapped my back twice, telling me to sit up so he could see my face, so I did. He had a big grin on his face as he stared down at my lips, licking his own. "You're not insecure, are you?" He asked, sounding shocked.

I shook my head, "No, but it's uncomfortable when people stare at me. I feel like they're picking out each of my flaws and making fun of them." I shrugged softly, sighing loudly afterwards.

"Savannah, I wasn't trying to pick out your flaws, you don't have any." Austin answered, bringing a hand up to my cheek and caressing it. "I was admiring how perfect you were, and you aren't even trying." He added, pushing my hair back over my shoulders.