9: The Dotted Line

☆ 9: The Dotted Line  ★ 

"Ah, home sweet home!" Louis says as he pushes open the door to their flat. 

I don't get how he was so upbeat after a twenty-three hour flight. Even on the plane Louis was all over the place. He was singing songs, quizzing me on One Direction facts, and pulling pranks on the rest of the boys who were all asleep. Thanks to Louis, I refused to fall asleep. I was too afraid that I'd wake up with some sort of picture drawn on my face or random objects shoved into my mouth; much like he did to the other boys.

So, of course, I am feeling horrible, beat down, and sleep deprived. The second I walk into the flat, I don't care about anything else but searching for a place to sleep. 

"I think someone should show Paige her room before she collapses," Niall jokes.

His voice sounds like it was coming from a different room. However, I was way too tired to look where exactly it was coming from. I could only guess it was coming from the kitchen.

I ignore the rest of the boys’ conversation, and just keep walking until I run into what seems like a couch. I drop onto it, my body molding to the structure of the cushions. Nothing has ever felt so good to me in my life. I could just stay here forever if someone offered it to me.

"Don't worry, I got her," a voice said. I could hear footsteps make their way to me. As they reach the couch they stop, and a soft voice is at my ear. "Come on, Paige; let’s get you to your room."

I mumble in response as I shift my position on the couch. 

"Come on, the bed will be more suitable," the voice says as they shake my shoulder. 

"Mhm," I say as I swat their hand away. There was no way I was moving. I just got comfortable and I was not giving that up.

"Alright, mates I don't think she is going to budge anytime soon," He says, obviously giving up.

"Move over," another voice came.

Soon, I feel arms wrap around my legs and torso, lifting me up from the couch. I probably would've complained if it weren't for the fact that whoever lifted me up is just as comfortable as the couch. I rest my head against their broad chest, breathing deeply. I catch a whiff of coconut, but quickly push it away.

All of a sudden, he turns a corner and all too soon I'm out of his arms and onto the bed. I half expect the person to leave the room, but instead I hear shuffling and soon the room was filling with fresh air. He had opened a window. I hear more shuffling and soon a warm blanket was thrown over me.

I could only picture Liam doing all those things for me. He was the only one sensible enough to think about my needs. I had to remember to thank him when I wake up.

I could feel my drowsiness getting the best of me. The last thing I hear is the person, whispering into my ear. 

"Sweet dreams, Paige."

And I certainly was planning on it.

                            ~*~

I wake up to the sun blaring into the room. I quickly cover my face as I sit up in the bed. Looking at the alarm clock, I found out that it was four in the afternoon, which meant I had slept roughly eighteen or so hours. That was a new personal best for me.

Before heading out of my room, I take a quick shower, making sure to wash off the twenty three hours of airplane from my body. It felt great to be back on land with my feet planted firmly on the ground. 

All dressed and cleaned up, I walk out of my room and to the front living area, hoping to find some other life form. Maybe the boys were still asleep. God knows how long Louis will sleep, considering he was up the whole trip.

"Hello, sleepy head."

It was Zayn who greeted me. He is lounging on the recliner in nothing but his pajama bottoms with a bag of chips on his lap, his studs shining in the sunlight. My eyes immediately are drawn to his tattoos. My god, they were everywhere. I had only thought that he had three; the ying-yang, the fingers crossed, and I remember hearing someone mention that he had his grandfather’s name in Arabic on his chest. Never did I expect to see so much ink on one man’s chest.

 Its official, Zayn Malik has an ink addiction.

"Morning," I say, nodding toward him.

"It's the afternoon, babe," he points out with a chuckle.

"Not to me," I laugh as I take a seat next to him. 

"You were asleep for the longest time," He says as he pops another chip into his mouth. "And you almost knocked Liam out last night when he tried waking you up."

Liam was the one who first tried waking me up? If he wasn't the one that brought me to my room,  then who was it? "Who carried me to my room?"

"Harry," he says casually.

"Harry?" I question. 

"Yup, Harry," Zayn repeats, eating another chip. He shoves a bag of chips my way, which I quickly turn down. 

"No, thanks." I say, my mind still stuck on Harry.

"Suit yourself," he mutters as he sticks a piece in his mouth.

Of course, Zayn wouldn't understand why that was such a shock to me. He probably only thought that he brought me to my room. Never would I have thought Harry would tuck me in and crack a window for me. That's out of character.

"So, who else is up?" I ask.

"Everyone."

"Really?" I ask, looking around the empty and quiet house. "Where are they, then?"

"Well, they went out."

"Out? Aren't they still exhausted?" I ask, shocked that they actually have the energy to do something after that long flight.

"Of course, but we are used to running on a weird sleeping schedule," he explains.

"Oh, makes sense I guess," I nod my head in understanding.

"Yeah, Louis and Niall went to get coffee and Harry and Liam went to go talk to management about a few things," Zayn finishes.

"Why didn't you go with them?" I ask, curiously.

He shrugs. "I wasn't feeling up to it. Besides, I couldn't leave you here alone in a foreign country." He flashes me a large smile as he reaches out to ruffle my wet hair playfully.

"How considerate," I say sarcastically, swatting his hand away. Suddenly, a loud, grumbling noise came from my stomach. "I guess that's my cue to eat."

"Hey, I offered you crisps!" He says defensively.

"And when I said 'eat' I meant like actual food, thank you."

"This is food," He says defensively, holding up his chips to me.

"It's not," I laugh. 

"Niall would beg to differ."

"Well, I'm not Niall."

I get up from my seat and enter the kitchen, which was extremely huge. Large fridge, double oven, stove top, granite counters, and a built in microwave. It was any cooks fantasy. I could only imagine the food that Aunt Julia could make in this place. 

I feel my stomach clench at the thought of her. It's only been a day since I left and I already miss her and Uncle Mike. Before I left for the airport, I stopped by their house and had a really early breakfast with them. It was nice. My aunt wanted to know all about Harry and One Direction, so naturally I panicked, but I told her all that I knew about them; well personality-wise. I pretty much know nothing about their music. 

Yes, I'm still a bad fake girlfriend. But I'm guessing that's what Vincent meant by studying? He wants me to learn as much as I can about One Direction so when people ask me questions, I don't look like a total idiot.

Suddenly, I feel my pocket vibrate. It must be Aunt Julia checking up on me, I think as I pull out my phone. I freeze when I see the name on my screen.

Dylan.

He finally emailed me back. Before I left the airport, after must internal debate, I finally decided to send Dylan a message about my trip. When he didn't respond within the first day I assumed that he forgot all about me. But, he didn't. After a day and a half he finally answered me back. I stare down at my screen and see his reply.

"You're alive! Nice to finally hear from you. But that's awesome, Paige! I've missed you. How long are you going to be in the city for?"

I pause, thinking of what to say back. How do I explain that I'm only in town for a day because I'm on tour with my so called boyfriend and his band? That was a lot to say in one message.

"Oh, Vincent stopped by this morning," Zayn calls out to me. "He dropped off a few papers for you. They're on the counter."

I put my phone into my pocket, deciding that I'll answer him back later and I scan the counter and immediately spot the stack of papers. They are the only things on the counter so they must be what Vincent had brought over. There is possibly more than fifty pages of information. 

"A few?" I complain loudly, so Zayn could hear. "This is way more than a few."

"Yeah, well I was rounding," he calls back. 

I pick up the paper and scan through it, skimming over everything. My eyes widen as I realize what it was. I take the papers and bring them back over to Zayn.

"Do you have any idea what this is?" I ask, holding up the papers.

He shakes his head. "Am I supposed to know what they are?"

"It's a contract," I say sternly. "A contract to be Harry's girlfriend."

Zayn quickly sits up in his seat. He reaches forward and grabs the papers from my hand, reading over the first page. 

"Wow," he says as he lets his hand drop. "I can't believe them."

I take a seat next to him. "I know."

"Why would they even need you to sign one?" He asks.

I shrug. "How am I supposed to know? I'm just as confused as you."

Zayn sits back in the couch, a look of wonder settles on his angular face. "I wonder if that's what Harry and Liam went to go do."

"Did Harry know about this?"

"Well, Vincent dropped off something for Harry as well. Whatever it was, it didn't make him happy."

"Well, this is a bit ridiculous," I say rolling my eyes. "I mean, do I need a lawyer to look this over?"

"No, I don't think you do," Zayn laughs. "Besides, you've got the next best thing."

"I do?"

"Me."

"You?” I repeat as I try to stifle a laugh, “What can you do?"

"Well I happen to be an Expert Contract Interpreter," He says matter-o-factly. 

"Really?" I say, raising my eyebrow. "I don't believe that.”

"Okay, so maybe not an expert," he admits "But I can read, so that should be good enough, right?"

"You can read?" I ask, feigning shock. "I would've never guessed. I've never met someone who can read before!"

"Hey," he points a finger at me accusingly. "Don't use sarcasm against the guy who is going to help you with this."

I stick my hands up in defeat. "Alright, Ol' Wise One."

"That's more like it," he laughs as he reads over the contract. He nods his head as if he understood everything. "Uh huh. Very interesting."

"Please, Zayn, share your wisdom." I roll my eyes. "What does the contract mean?"

He looks up at me and points to one of the first lines. "Well, I'm not entirely sure, but I think you're supposed to put your full name here."

"Well, I could've figured that out!" I say as I take the contract back from him.

"Well, then why did you ask for my help?"

My jaw drops at his accusation. "I didn't ask you! You pretty much insisted."

"Oh, Zayn! Sprinkle your wisdom over me," he mocks in a high pitched voice.

"Sprinkle your wisdom over me?" I laugh out loud. "I did not say that. And I don't talk like I just sucked up a tank of helium, thank you very much."

"Could've fooled me!" He shot back. "You practically begged for my wis-" Suddenly his phone went off, playing a very pop type beat. Zayn stops talking and looks at his phone. "It's Harry."

"Answer it," I urge, suddenly serious. "Maybe they have news about these stupid contracts."

Zayn nods his head and then answers his phone. "Vas happenin'?"

Vas happening? Did he seriously just say that? I hold back a laugh as he continues talking to Harry.

"Uh huh. Yeah, she found it just now," he tells him. "Well, what did they tell you?" He pauses. "Man, Vincent just doesn't cut you a break, huh?" He pauses again. I hear Harry talking loudly through the receiver. Even I could tell he was extremely upset. "Alright, mate. Sorry about this. Yeah, I'll tell her. Alright, see ya later."

"What did he say?" I ask the second Zayn hangs up the phone.

"Well, you really do need to read over this contract," he says nodding toward the stack of papers. "Apparently, Vincent needs legal documentation from you saying that you agree to the deal and that you'll cooperate fully."

I sigh. "Does he expect me to back out last second or what? Because I won't."

He shrugs his shoulders dramatically. "I really don't know. Harry just said what Vincent told him."

I look back down at the contract. Taking my thumb, I flip through all the pages. This was going to take hours to go through. It was now that I actually wished Zayn was an Expert Contract Interpreter, that way I'd at least know what I was doing.

"Well, I better get started, then."

_____________________________

A/N:

Yup, I love Zayn haha :D Of course, for that reason, Zayn gets side picture! yay! 

Okay, also, I know the boys don't live together, but in my story they do haha I wanted them all under the same roof :P 

And thanks you guys for the comments and votes! This story has surpassed 100 votes! AHHH! :D I'm beyond happy! And this chapter is dedicated to the person who gave me my 100th vote! :D yes i know who you are :P hahaha

Thanks you guys! :D