5: Meeting the Boys

5: Meeting the Boys  ★ 

"Welcome to Shell Diner, where your happiness is our goal. Can I start you off with something to drink?" 

I quickly jolt down the customer’s order; one water and a Pepsi, and make my way to the back to fill their drinks.

I've been at work for over two hours, and I still haven't gotten into the groove. I've spilt two drinks, almost dropped a tray full of food, and I've managed to bump into an elderly man's cane, causing him to almost fall. Luckily, my manager, Jaime, was there and he caught the man.

"Come on, Paige," My manager had said to me earlier. "Pull your head out of your ass."

"Sorry, sir." I had replied before I went back to work.

It was safe to say that my mind was elsewhere. And I have Harry to that for that. I was still replaying the conversation I had back at The Amara. It was like it was stuck on repeat and I couldn't just stop the tape. Every time the scene replayed, the more upset I got. 

Who do they think they are asking me to drop everything for someone I don't even know? All to save an image? I don't want to devote my time to something that means absolutely nothing to me. And all for money? Wouldn't that make me some form of prostitute?

With a sigh, I take the drinks to their rightful owners and take their food orders. As I'm about to give their orders to the Chef, I hear the Diner become suddenly loud. I hear gasps and shrieks. For a second, I thought someone just pulled out a gun; but once I turn around, I spot something else.

Four boys were standing at the entrance. I recognize three of them as the boys who were running wild with the luggage cart. The other one I have yet to meet. He was tall with shaggy brown hair. His hair was slightly wavy and it swoops across his forehead. He had a determined look as his light brown eyes searched the vicinity.

Yup, One Direction was at my work. Just great.

Well, 4/5ths of One Direction, anyway. I quickly noted that Harry wasn't there.

I froze as I watch several girls, who were just about to leave, freak out over them. Their screams were so loud that I thought I was going to go deaf. They hurriedly got their autographs, and then rush out of the diner, still shrieking. After a few minutes, they are finally seated. I was thankful that they didn't choose a booth that was in my section.

"Oh my Jesus." Abigail, another waitress, says to me as she fills up a pitcher of water. "Is that One Direction?"

"I think so," I say shrugging as if it wasn't a big deal. 

However it was a big deal. Not because of the fact that a famous Boy Band was eating at my work, but because I knew they were here for a reason; and I had a feeling that I was that reason.

"God, they're so hot!" She exclaims.

"I didn't know you were such a huge fan," I say poking fun at her. 

"Sue me," she says rolling her eyes. "Why isn't Harry here?"

I pause before answering. Did she not know about the picture? She hasn't mentioned it yet, maybe she hasn't seen it. So far today no one at the diner has brought it up. Maybe it's only popular among young teenage girls.

I shrug. "How am I supposed to know?"

"You're right. You don't really know much about anything anyways," She mutters. She places the pitcher down quickly so she can fix her ponytail, and then she unbuttons a few buttons on her work shirt and shifts her bra, showing ample cleavage. "Perfect. Now, if you'll excuse me. I have four boys to please."

I roll my eyes as she struts away from me towards the table that One Direction was seated at. I watch in amusement as she talks excitedly to them. No doubt she was explaining how big of a fan she was and how much she loves them. She probably had a shrine for them. Slut.

However, before too long, Abigail is walking back toward me, an annoyed expression fell on her face. 

"What happened?" I say through a large smile. "Couldn't please them?"

"Shut up," She mutters. "Apparently, they want to talk to you, which I don't get why."

I decide not to respond to her. I just pick up my note pad and make my way toward One Directions table. As soon as I'm a few feet from them, I meet the dark haired boys gaze. I couldn’t help but notice his hair, which stood tall at least a six centimeter quiff.  What was up with the British and strange hairstyles?

"Found her!" He says pointing in my direction, a large smile playing on his lips.

The rest of the boys look back at me. Grins spreading across their faces. I give a slight smile.

"Well, look who it is," the brunette with light blue eyes says. His hair was somewhat normal, for a British boy. It was long, and his bangs were styled to the right side of his face. "It's the girl who is trying to steal my Hazza from me."

I look at him in confusion. Stealing his Hazza? Was I supposed to know what a 'Hazza' is? Was it some British term?

"Come off it, Louis,” The other brunette says lightly. “It was bound to happen sometime. We all knew Harry would find someone.”

Oh, Hazza. Harry. He thought I was stealing Harry? Didn't he know that I turned down the offer? He had to know.  I'm guessing they all knew. Why else would they be here?

"Okay, well Abigail told me that you wanted see me," I say, ignoring what Louis had just said. I could still feel Abigail's eyes on me as I stood there. I shift uneasily. 

"We sure do," Louis answers excitedly. 

"Did she happen to mention anything about bringing us food?" The blonde asks with an Irish accent.

"Niall! We aren't here for food, remember?" The dark haired boy says. Then in a loud whisper he adds. "The plan."

The plan?

"Well, we're here. We might as well get something. I'm starving. Come on, Liam. Please?" Niall complains, looking at the other brunette. Niall is giving Liam a large smile, exposing his clear braces. 

"But you just ate before we left," Liam says sternly. "Besides, Zayn is right. We need to talk to Paige."

"Look, I'm sorry," I sigh, putting my hand on my hip, "But, I already told your manager and Harry that I'm not interested. If you're here for that, then you should know that I haven't changed my mind."

I knew I was being pushy, and a bit on edge, but I wasn't in the mood for this. I've already had enough of One Direction and all their fans. Before I left to work, I checked Twitter one more time only to find that the picture had spread. Now it was being posted on blogs, One Direction Fan Sites, and Facebook. This was getting out of hand. I just couldn't wait for this nightmare to be over.

"Pfft," Louis scoffs. "Of course, we aren't here for that. Why would we be here for that? We are here for your delightful company. Isn’t that right, lads?"

"Right, Louis!" Niall says with enthusiasm. He is the only one that answers.

"Well then what is it?" I say. I didn't believe them, but I am not in the mood to argue with three British and one Irish boy. "And try to hurry, as much as I'd like to stay and chat, I do have other tables that are actually getting food."

"Oh, feisty one!" Louis says with a large smile as he turns to talk to his band mate. "Don't suppose Harry knows what he's getting himself into."

"This could be interesting," The dark haired boy-Zayn- says with a smirk. 

"Do ya think she knows how to cook?" Niall asks Louis, a hint of amazement is washed over his face. "I'm really tired of eating Harry's Mac & Cheese on tour."

"How am I supposed to know?"

"Oh, now we finally have even teams for water-dodgeball-baseball!"

"I bet Paul would be happy to hear that."