4: The Plan

4: The Plan  ★ 

A couple hours later, after much debate, I found myself walking up through the front entrance of The Amara, the nicest hotel in Sydney. 

I know this probably wasn't the best idea for me. I mean, just this morning I woke up next to a boy I didn't know and the next thing I know I find out he was famous and I'm being hated on the Internet. How did I get myself into this? This is the last thing I wanted and I'm coming here to end it.

Walking into the hotel, I saw exactly what I expect of a five star hotel. Fancy chandelier hanging in the center of the lobby? Check. Expensive furniture? Check. Fancy paintings and pots decorating the lobby? Check. Rich people 'enjoying each other’s company'? Double check.

I make my way to the front desk. As I'm walking up to the desk, the receptionist looks me up and down, a look of curiosity covers her face. I could only assume that she was wondering what a girl like me was doing here. She could probably sense my thrift store clothes was on sale and could smell my ten dollar perfume from the moment I walked in.

"Hello, welcome to The Amara," She said in a thick Australian accent. "What can I do for you?"

"I'm actually here to meet with One Direction. Their manager told me to stop by," I inform her.

The lady rolls her eyes dramatically, not even trying to hide her annoyance. "Not one of you guys again."

"What?"

She gives me a dead look. "Do you really think that we are going to let you in?"

I cock my head. Is she seriously not going to let me in? "Excuse me?"

"We get crazy fans like you all the time. I'm sorry, but we aren't letting you in. Now I suggest you leave before I call hotel security." She says through a fake smile.

Snobby Lobby Receptionist? Yeah, this hotel has it all covered.

I take a few steps back, reach into my shorts and pull out my cell phone and Vincent's business card. I quickly punch in his number and wait for him to pick up. The receptionist was watching my every move. On the third ring, he answered.

"Vincent Waller," He answered professionally.

"Mr. Waller, this is Paige Carter, an-"

"Miss Carter! I'm happy you called. Did you need a ride to the hotel?" 

"I'm actually in the lobby right now."

"Well then come on up!"

"I can't. You see the lobby receptionist won't let me up." I say, eyeing the lady behind the desk. "She threatened to call hotel security on me."

"I informed the hotel that we were expecting a visitor." he says in annoyance. "Hold on, I'll give them a call. Just stay right there."

"Okay," I say and then hang up. 

I walk up to the front desk, resting my arms on the counter. A large, fake smile was playing on my lips. "I think you should be expecting a call pretty soon."

Just as the words left my mouth, the front desk phone was ringing. I smirk as the receptionist answers the phone begrudgingly.

"Amara Front Desk, this is Vivian. How may I help you?" She answers. Then in a defensive tone she continues. "I'm sorry, sir. I didn't know. I wasn't informed." she pauses. "Yes sir. I'll be sure." again she pauses. "Right away, sir. I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

With that she hung up the phone.

"What did he say?" I ask as if I don't already know. I force back my smile.

She narrows her eyes at me. "They are on the top floor. Mr. Waller informed me that you'll be reporting to room 1029." She says all of this through clenched teeth. 

"Thank you so much," I say as I give her a wave before heading up to the room.

                ~*~

I step out of the elevator and make my way down the long, dimly lit hallway. My stomach was swarming with butterflies and the closer I got to room 1029, the more nervous I got. I have no idea what they want from me but I just wanted to get over this. Move on. Leave it in the past.

1012. 1013. 1014.

"Comin' through!" I hear a voice from down the hall shout in a very high pitched British accent. "Sorry! Excuse us!"

I turn around and quickly step out of the way, just as a luggage cart carrying two guys zooms past me. A guy with dark hair was pushing the cart. His passengers, a blonde and a boy with shaggy brown hair, were shouting and laughing all down the hall. 

"Come on, Zayn! Grandma Tomlinson can push faster than this!" The brunette shouts.

"I'm trying, mate!" The dark haired boy answers, clearly exhausted. "Maybe if Niall didn't eat so much this would be easier."

"Hey, stop complaining and start pushing," The blonde laughs, sticking his finger accusingly.

I watch in amusement as they turn a corner, their laughs still echoing through the halls. I admire those boys. I don't know who they are, but they seem to be around my age and they still know how to have a good time. 

I continue down the hall. 1027. 1028. I stare at the white door with numbers 1029 printed in gold. 

This was it. 

The butterflies in my stomach were now going into overdrive. I have every reason to be nervous and yet, I feel like I shouldn't be nervous at all. I am here because they need to talk to me about something. And apparently that something was so important that I had to come all the way across Sydney to hear it. What could possibly be so important?

With a deep breath, I knock on the door. I hear slight murmuring and then the sound of someone approaching the door. 

The door sings open, revealing a very burly older man. He had short brown hair and a look of determination on his face. I took a step back, caught off guard that someone so intimidating was answering the door. 

"Uhm," I stutter, recollecting my thoughts. "I was just, Uh."

Why am I here again? Crap.

"Paige Carter?" The large man asks in an Irish accent. I nod quickly. "Right this way."

He steps back from the door, allowing me a way to walk in. I rapidly step into the room. Muscles closes the door behind me.

The hotel room is in one word; bright. There were large windows opposite of the door, letting the Sydney sunlight blare in. The cream colored walls just added to the brightness. The room was also very large with two rooms separate from the lounge area.

"Miss Carter," Vincent, who was leaning against the kitchen counter, greets. "I hope you didn't get any more trouble coming up."

I shake my head. "Besides almost getting run over by a luggage cart, I didn't."

"Luggage cart?" He questions out loud. A look of realization settles on his face. He straightens up and gestures towards Muscles. "Paul, do you mind getting those three before they get the entire floor in a riot?"

Muscles- Or Paul- quickly nods before leaving the room. So those boys must've been with them. Possibly members of One Direction. I thought they looked vaguely familiar.

"Here, have a seat." Vincent gestures towards the couch. My eyes land on the leather sofa in the middle of the room and that when I freeze. 

I don't know how I didn't notice him before.

There sitting on the arm rest was the curly haired boy. The same boy that I saw running away this morning. It was none other than Harry Styles himself. He has one foot on the couch and the other on the wood floor, balancing him, an annoyed look settles on his face. 

I look right at him, waiting for him to say something, but he keeps his gaze downward. 

Wow. Rude. It was hard to believe that only hours ago, I was waking up next to that boy. Last night, he couldn't keep his hands off me and now he can't even bare to look at me. 

"Uh, no thanks. I'd much rather stand," I say, a bit harshly. "I don't plan on staying long, I have to be at work. I'm here to see what you have got to say and then I'm out."

"Straight to the point. I think I'm gonna like this girl." Vincent nods his head in approval. 

I narrow my eyes as he says that. Why did it sound like he was planning on seeing me more often? I wasn't planning on making this a reoccurring thing.

Vincent makes his way out of the open kitchen and into the lounge room.

"Okay," Vincent starts. "Well, I'm sure we all saw the picture that was leaked all over the Internet this morning. I've gotten a lot of calls regarding that photo; they are especially interested in you, Paige."

"Okay, well what am I supposed to do?" I ask. "Do you want me to explain to them what happened? Because nothing happened! I'll be more than happy to clear everything up."

Vincent smiles. "Actually, that is why you're here today. I'm not sure if you know, but this isn't the first time Harry has gotten himself into a bit of trouble with the Tabloids."

I look at Harry, who was still staring at the floor as if Parquet flooring was the most interesting thing he's seen in his whole life. I was a bit annoyed that he wouldn't even acknowledge me. I mean, we are both in the same mess here.

"It seems that wherever One Direction goes, Harry seems to find himself sneaking out and eventually getting photographed somewhere," Vincent continues. "The press goes crazy with pictures like that. Harry out late at night, no body guard. You can expect the conclusions that people come to."

"Okay," I say slowly, still confused about this. "But what does this have to do with me?"

A genuine smile appears on Vincent's lips. "Well, with the picture of you two circulating, this actually came to us as a blessing rather than a curse."

"I'm still lost," I say dumbly.

"Let me clear it up for you then. Your picture gives Harry an excuse to sneak out all those night. It gives Harry proof that he wasn’t out partying, getting drunk, or sleeping around like all the tabloids are saying." He explains in excitement. "Who would not love the idea of Harry Styles sneaking out to meet his secret girlfriend in private, trying to keep his relationship out of public eye? It's the perfect cover-up!"

I let everything he says sink in. I could tell by the excitement in Vincent’s voice that this plan was obviously his idea. So, what they wanted was for me to admit to being Harry's secret girlfriend, just to cover the precious name of One Direction? Are they joking? What kind of girl do they think I am?

"Wait. You want me to just drop everything for him?" I say slowly, looking between Harry and Vincent.

Vincent didn't answer me. He continues walking around the room, his hands moving wildly as he continued explaining the plan.

"Of course, you’d have to play the part of his girlfriend for the time being. But, for the time you spend with the boys on tour and everything, I understand it can be time consuming and exhausting," Vincent adds. "That's why we can pay you nicely for your efforts. It'll be just like a full time job."

"No." Harry suddenly says.

I pause when I hear Harry talk for the first time since I got here, his drawn out British accent showing fully. I glance up at him. He was now standing up, his hands were crossed over his chest, and a look of anger is plastered on his face.

"What?" Vincent asks, obviously caught off guard as well.

"I said no. I don't need to buy a girlfriend," He says sternly. “There is no reason for this. We don’t need to bring her into this.”

Its Vincent's turn to look annoyed. "No, reason for this? I don't suppose you have a reasonable excuse to explain why you were out in New Zealand? Or France? What about Ireland, huh? Your behavior is getting out of hand, Harry, and this is the only opportunity we have to clear your name."

Harry fell silent again. It was obvious that he wasn't very happy about this plan as I was, but he also didn't have a resolution for it either. 

However, I don't care what either of them thinks. I don't want to subject myself to more ridicule just to save Harry and the record company's image. 

Why should I ruin mine to save theirs? 

"I'm sorry, but I won't do it." 

Harry's and Vincent's heads both turned towards me the second the words left my mouth. Looks of dismay and confusion were spread across their faces.

"You what?" Vincent asks.

"I'm not agreeing to this. I don't want to deal with all of this craziness. I only have had this Internet attention for a couple of hours and I already want to pull my hair out." I say, before backing up towards the front door. "I'm sorry, I won't do it. Good luck, though."

Before either of them have a chance to say another word to me. I swing the door open and rush out, not once looking back.

_____________________

A/N

I'm sorry if this was short and boring... and I realized this didn't have that much Harry or One Direction... But the next will definitely be more One Direction-centric! :D

Thanks for your votes and comments and time! You guys rock! :D