Feelings

Woo hoo, this chapter is finished! :) Anyway, this one is about James and Jade, but you will also find out some news about Jo! xoxoxo, Brooke

_____________________________________________________________________________

JADE’S POV

“Well, I got all those seeds counted. This one has 200.” I sat the now seedless strawberry in front of our cardboard setup. Kendall was meeting with Dr. Rivers and Logan was doing more physical therapy, so here I was, alone with the guy that I may or may not have a huge crush on. Even when sick, he still managed to look really adorable.

He was doing better since he’d gotten the transfusion a few days ago, but he still felt tired a lot. Luckily, he’d gotten enough energy back so he could help us with the science project. I was impressed at how intelligent he was too. For a long time, I’d figured that he had only been the pretty boy, but he was proving to be much more than people gave him credit for. I didn’t know how to approach him, though, as far as my feelings were concerned.

“Poor strawberry. That’s a lot of seeds for such a tiny fruit to carry.” James chuckled as he picked the strawberry up. I rolled my eyes and took the strawberry from him, sitting it where it belonged. I watched him as he began cutting open a kiwi, anxiously hoping that he wouldn’t cut himself. We didn’t need anymore accidents.

“You are such a dork.” I said, admiring our project. It was nearly finished. We just needed to figure out how many seeds a kiwi produces. “And will ya let me do the cutting?”

“Come on, it’s not gonna hurt me to do a little cutting.”

“I beg to differ.” I gently took the knife from him, cutting our nice little fruit in half. He emitted an exasperated sigh, leaning back in his wheelchair. I’d been noticing that he had begun to use it more and more, rather than walking. I’d even asked Dr. Rivers about it during my last appointment and she’d said that James was getting weaker, so he couldn’t do a whole lot of walking on his own. That scared me.

Cough!

“You okay?” I asked, rubbing his arm.

“Yeah.” He gave me an apologetic smile. Oh my god, my heart just melted.

“Hey, I’m gonna get some water.” He said as he slowly stood up. It took a couple of minutes and by the time he was on his feet, he was out of breath and he had to stand there for a few seconds to catch his breath. I obviously wasn’t about to leave him alone, so I went over to him, taking his arm.

“I’ll go with you.” I ignored his protests, following him over to the counter. He grabbed a bottle of water, but I immediately realized how hard it was for him to lift it. So I picked it up, paying for it while he stood still. As he began to get weaker and weaker, I got more and more scared for him, worrying that he might not survive this after all. I didn’t even want to think about such things, though.

“You can go rest if you want. I’ll do some more work on the project.” I linked my arm with his, guiding him back towards the table. Once I’d helped him sit back in his wheelchair, I took out my cell phone, dialing Camille’s phone number. She’d been talking to someone about possibly getting released soon, but I was pretty sure that she was done by now.

“Cam? Do you think you could take James back to his room? He needs some rest and I’m gonna work on our project a little more.”

“Yeah, sure!”

“Thanks.” I hung up, looking at James. He seemed a little annoyed that he had to go back to his room, but hey, I’d be sure to entertain him later. I had some DVDs that needed to be watched and it would be cool for us to do together. I hoped that he would feel better after taking a nap.