[22] Swimming To You

Just want to start off by saying, thank you so much for 8k reads!! Just... wow. Even after the few changes I had to make to the story, and if it was slightly confusing, most of you guys stuck around and that means the world.
Wattys 2018 anyone?
~*~

When you get to your destination, you'd think all would be easy. You'd think that you have made it and your hardship was over. But making it has only taught us that, that wasn't the case.

"It's getting dark guys." Peter hissed. The worry, obvious in his voice.

"We're almost there." Alex responds, raising his left hand to point forward, "You can see the wood coming together in the distance."

Our legs burning. Sweat dripping. By now dehydration has set in making us feel hazy, but that was only after us getting to this dock. Everything came after because this was our priority.

"They're starting to move the boat!" Peter yelled.

"Run fasted you idiot!" Alex yelled back. Placing a hand on my lower back to not only make sure I was there but to keep moving me.

As we neared they noticed us, urging us to keep moving, since by now they couldn't stop the boat that was mere inches off into the ocean.

Thinking everything was going to be okay as we were only a lengths worth away from the water, the enemy appeared. The others shouted from the boat.

"Move!" "Run!" "Duck!" Were the sounds that filled my ears. Only then gun shots replaced all other noises.

To make matters worse,

"Peter get up!" Alex yelled.

Peter has just collapsed from the lack of food and water.

I tried to move through the water that was just up to my knees back to them to help Alex with Peter.

"No, Autumn." Gun shots banged. "Keep moving!" Alex instructed. His voice saying there was no room for argument.

With a worried look, for once I listened, only hoping I don't regret doing what's been told for once. Nodding I turned back around and swam as quickly as I could to the boat.

Constantly looking back to see Alex swinging an unconscious Peter over his shoulder.

I look over the water as Night shines upon it. The waves are dancing and the bullets are piercing. Whether it's into thin air or into a life that once lived.

I make it to the boat to be quickly pulled up. But when I look back, fear. Fear is what is in my eyes.

Peter is being pulled through the water by a hurt, bleeding soldier. My soldier.

Getting ready to jump back into the water to help, I'm pulled back.

"No, Autumn." A young man told me, I recognized him from days before.

"They need help, they won't make it!" I yell back hysterically.

I try to go again but he grabs hold of my arm tighter, "If you jump back in love, you'll be doing more wrong than good." His words hit me. 'Love'.

Tommy. He would be smart about things. I need to be smart, just as he would tell me to be.

"The German are jumping in after em!" Someone yelled

Another man yelled, "Leave them!"

I looked to see they were almost here, swimming to us. They can't just leave them!

"No!" I yelled looking around frantically. When a cable catches my eye. "What's your name?" I yell over the noise to the young lad who didn't let me go help.

"Dan?" He said questionably.

"Well Dan, help me." I nodded at the cable. He caught on quick and we threw the cable out the boat, towards Alex.

Alex adjusted his hold on Peter and lifted his other arm, with much struggle, to the cable.

One he grasped it, we pulled him toward the boat but with much struggle, with it only being the two of us. Others soon helped seeing the struggle were facing and in no time, were pulling them into the boat.

Peter was lied down gently.

I rushed over to Alex who was coughing up the salty water and panting heavily.

I put my hands on his shoulders, "Are you okay? Where are you hurt at?" Frantically picking at his clothing trying to find the injury.

He let out a cough and low chuckle. He brought his hand to my hip, "Relax Hazel, it just skimmed my arm."

I sighed and through my arms around him. "I was so worried and..." I paused then slapped his non injured arm, "You idiot made me keep going so I couldn't help!"

He just shook his head and smiled.

With a small eye roll from me, I sat beside him and watched as the enemy grew smaller and smaller. Dunkirk was becoming farther and farther. The date of June 3rd coming to an end and though we once were so sure this would be our last time here. Something tells me this might really be over. We might really be free.

"Hey, where's Tommy?" A man asked.

I looked down, "He didn't make it." I said quietly.

Soon the whole boat had gone quiet. Everyone looking down. Possible thinking of kind thoughts or simple prayers. But the silence would all fade out as small claps broke though.

Claps over the ship had began to form. Even a woken Peter, who had finally gotten a small portion of food and water clapped.

"Cheers to the one who came to save the day." Dan smiled.

"Even if you're a girl." Another laughed.

I just gave them an eye roll and rested my head on Alex's shoulder. Home. That thought sounds pretty good right about now.

~*~

Comment, vote and ask any questions you may have