[20]: Roles Reversed

Previously on Home Is Her...

"If you aren't there in 2 days time, counting today, we will leave you behind." Alex spoke flatly. The thought made me sick but it's what has to be done. We're at war, aren't we?

"And if you aren't there?" A young male, possible near my age in the far corner asked.

"Leave without us." I said without hesitation. I could tell Alex wanted to interfere, wanting me to get out of here. I want all of us to get out of here but we aren't any more special than them.

~*~

Alex's POV:

It's now June 3rd. Today is the day we have to be at the boat. We have to be there, but in all honesty I don't think we will make it. I don't think I will get her there.

I watch as my Hazel sags over the lifeless body of our dear friend. Tommy.

I hated the boy, loving him all at the same time.

Now there he is, dead. Not being able to live to see the life outside of Dunkirk one more time. Damn you Tommy.

I know Tommy though. Maybe not as well as Autumn but I know he would want us to get out of here and if I have to look the way he does to do it, watch this fool do it.

"Autumn, Hazel it's morning." I lay my hand on her shoulder. "It the final day. We need to get to that dock."

"We won't make it." Her sad, distressed voice spoke.

"We need to try. We can't give up now." Panic in my voice. She can't give up now. It's not like her, when has she ever given up?

She brings her hand up to her face. Dry blood splattered on it. "I failed him Alex." She sobbed silently. "He only ever helped me, saved me and I had one job. Save him."

"Shhh." I wrapped my arms around her. "You did everything you could. The minute that bullet touched him in the area were in, he was gone." I kissed her forehead. "But he wouldn't want you to stay here any longer and let the German end the long journey you've been on. We need to get up and run our asses off to that dock."

"Hell yeah." Peter hopped in, a smile appearing on his face. It's obvious he is still devastated over recent events but he is still pushing through.

Autumn smiled, "What do we do with his body?" Her smile dropping when she looks to the body. She rests her head on my chest, "We can't just leave him here."

"I hate to sound heartless, but bringing him will slow us down." Peter looked down.

"I'll get him back home." The unknown man who I heard was a pilot spoke up.

"I don't think..."

"Okay." I interrupted Autumn. "We need to go and we have to trust him." I grabbed her hand and grabbed a bag from the corner.

"Let's go." Autumn huffed. "He better be safe with you." She snapped at the man.

We looked out the beige buildings door to make sure there aren't any scouts. "We need to make it past the shops to get to the docks." Pretty boy spoke.

"From what it looks like, it's no later than 9 am. If we run with no stops, no encounters, we should be there by eight tonight." Autumn spoke while in deep thought. "They can't leave till the sun set because that would mean the day is over and the night is here."

"Will eight be too late?" Peter asked.

"No, the sun will still be up slightly. We will make it." I spoke. Looks like the rolls have been reversed. Who knew I'd be the optimistic one.

"Let's quit the talking then and get going!" Peter exclaimed. "We don't know when those, those monsters will barge in and kill us. We're basically sitting ducks." Peter spoke frantically. All while Autumn stood there quietly in deep thought.

I grabbed her hand. "Let's go."

We headed out the door. "Thank you." Autumn murmured. Peeping her head back in, but left before they could respond.

"If we follow the water up, it will lead us to the shops." Autumn whispers.

We begin to run following the waters of Dunkirk. Feet pushing us to move faster. Beads of sweat already moving down our faces as we don't stop. Pants mixing between the three of us, the sounds syncing together.

"Stop." Lover boy hissed.

The three of us come to a halt. Hazel and I looking to Peter. He brings a shaky hand up and points straight ahead.

"Shit. We don't have time for this." I hissed.

I motioned for them to follow my lead. Bending down lower, into a squat position. We move across to the another side slower.

Step by step. Light footed to not create sound.

The tension in the air is unbearable. I want to flinch every time I hear the shuffle of our clothing.

Almost fearing that they couple hear it too.

Soon Autumn grasps my arm. Almost as if she was in need of that extra comfort.

"Almost there I whispered."

I looked over to her and she nodded.

I grabbed her hand and picked up pace. I looked over to make sure Peter was hot on our tail.

I release a breath I didn't know I was holding as we reach the other side.

"Let's move." I said.

And that's what we did. We ran again. For what felt like hours. Meaningless hours. Hours that made us feel like we would make a wrong turn, a wrong step and bam, we would end up like...We would end up like Tommy. Like those men laying on the shore line of Dunkirk. The people scattered around with bullets in their bodies. The other poor soldiers that lay dead.

We might end up like one of them. But that might isn't a will, because as far as right now, we are running. We are running home. Even if my home has always been with me, beside me.

~*~

Hehehe...

Maybe this chapter was a little bit boring?

Maybe you really enjoyed it?

But all I have to say is it had to be written to help with upcoming chapters.

Also...

WE REACHED OVER 100 VOTES ON Home Is Her!!!!

Thank you guys soooo much, this means the world to mean and I couldn't have done this without you!

Till The Next Chapter🖤