[16]: Memories

Autumn's POV:

The sun is already rising as Alex and I rush to the towering, wearing buildings in the distance. Memories from before rush through my head from the first time I was here when Tommy found me.

I was just a young lady then. Then not being too long ago. When a boy found a girl in Dunkirk thinking she was a he, trying to convince the young one that he was like everyone else. A young British boy in Dunkirk who spoke English.

Me being nothing more than a snarky young girl with a bad attitude. Tommy, the poor lad nearly passed out when he saw that I was nothing but a young female. I didn't help when I opened my mouth either...

I nod as his hand left my mouth. "You're a girl?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"I am, was it the hair that gave it away or wait, maybe the boobs?" I said in a sarcastic voice.

Poor Tommy had put up with me all the way up until now, I laugh at the thought. Till here I stand now, not much time later. I'm not the young girl nor lady anymore. I'm a women. I'm strong. Stronger than what they have given me credit for.

I can't help but think what could have happened if Tommy hadn't found me on the streets of the lost town that day.

May 25th 1940.

If not for Tommy I would have never met Alex. I would have never met Peter. Gibson, I would have never been given the honor of knowing him. I may have not even been alive today.

But why am I thinking of the memories that have bestowed between my dear friend and I?

———

Present time...

"Duck!" Alex yells as he pushes my body down.

The German commanders and Sergeants saw the fire fairly quickly and are already hot on our tail.

"Almost there Hazel." Alex said. He can tell I'm running out of fuel but I'm still pushing with everything I've got.

We are dodging their bullets as we turn a sharp corner, leaving behind the sanded island now entering the worn road.

"First building." I mumbled as we jog up to the building we are meeting the other soldiers at.

I enter the quiet, worn out towering building that once was someone's home with Alex close on my tail.

It's so quiet you wouldn't have known a soul was in the same proximity of here. Not until you saw the men lined and pressed up against every wall that is.

There has to be close to 50 men pressed and shoved into this house.

"Tommy." I whisper yelled. In response I heard patters of feet make there way down the steps of the flat ground we stand on.

"You guys made it." He smiled, enfolding us into a strong hug.

"How nice." A man spoke sarcastically. "Now do you mind telling us the plan." He continued on saying.

"Right." I said brushing my hair out of my face. I looked to Alex to see him already looking at me. He gave me a small nod for me to continue, almost as if saying it's ok.

"They're out there looking for us. We have to maneuver our way through the town without being seen." I spoke clearly. Taking a pause so the small bit could sink in. "We have to break into small groups. The larger the groups, the easier it is to be spotted." I finished.

The men let it sink in quickly nodding their heads to show that they agree.

"No." A boy stood. "I will not listen to a..." he paused. "Girl." He spat as if there is poison on his tongue.