[4]: A Frog?

Sand brushed over my face as the sun beats down on me. I groan and feel the ground shuffle underneath me. "What the hell." My voice came out groggy.

"Hazel, would you please stop squirming." Alex groaned underneath me and pulled me closer.

My eyes widened and the memories of last night flooded my head. I sigh and plop my head back on Alex's chest. Thinking I could get another hour of sleep was stupid of me.

"Time to get up you two." Tommy said over the heavy wind. I grunt and pull myself up. Once I was on two feet, I helped Alex up. We both stretched and walked over to the man second in line.

I look down at my feet while we wait for others to join us. Knowing that my father is no longer with us is a horrible feeling. What's even worse is right now is not a good time for me to dwell.

"We have another boat for you lads to stay in to send you home." The second commanded spoke over the loud noises.

In a short amount of time we loaded under the boat and huddled together. I couldn't tell you how long we were in there but it felt like hours.

Getting tired, I leaned my head on Tommy's shoulder which didn't set well with Alex. Alex wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him, causing my head to fall on his shoulder.

I brought my lips up to his ear, "Jealousy isn't a good look on you love." He stiffens as I chuckle to myself. He huffs and continues to look at the wall in front of him.

We soon hear shuffling above deck and we all jump up. Alex grabs the nearest weapon and Tommy pulls me behind him.

Gibson grabs the man and shoves him down the stairs. The unknown man lays on the ground in fear. "Who are you?!?" Alex yells, "German?"

"No mate!! 'm no German! Dutch." The man yells back.

Alex huffs but is cut off when a gunshot goes through the boat. We all jump and Alex quickly looks at me. I nod at him, showing that I'm okay.

A tall, young man walks over to the newly formed hole. Another fire was shot and the man falls to the ground screaming. His mouth is quickly covered to muffle the screams.

I rush over to his aid but I'm quickly picked up by the waist and pulled into Tommy's arms. As soon as he pulled me away, more shots are fired.

"COVER THE HOLES!!" Alex yells.

"They know we're in here." A boy says frantically while pacing.

"No they don't." Tommy replies.

Alex gives him a confused look, "Target practice." Tommy clarified.

We all nod and try to cover the holes.

Yet another man was shot and killed instantly.

"It's not working." A snotty boy squealed. Well no bloody shit.

"What are we meant to do now?" Alex asked the Dutch man.

The man looked up scared, "Eh..um.. weight. We need to loose weight off the boat so it won't sink as quickly." He stammered.

Alex nodded and pulled his feet through the flooded floor. "I know just who we should toss off."

Tommy and I exchanged strange looks to each other. "Who?" I questioned.

"Him." Alex said flatly to Gibson.

"What?!?" Tommy and I spoke at the same time.

"He never speaks! He hasn't said one word!" Alex said gettin up in Gibson's face, waving his arms around.

"He's tryin to leave, just like the rest of us mate." Tommy said trying to defend Gibson. I frantically looked between the three boys, not knowing what to do.

"Have you ever even heard him speak?" Alex asked looking between Tommy and I.

"Well no..." Tommy and I said in sync. "But he's no frog!" Tommy said quickly after.

"Prove me wrong then!" Alex said in an annoyed voice. Everyone else agreed.

"Tell em Gibson, tell em your one of us." Tommy said patting his back

Gibson looked over to me worried. "French." He said quietly.

"Fvcking Hell!!" Alex yelled, "he's a bloody frog." Alex said pulling at his hair.

I looked at Gibson dumbfounded.

Alex grabbed his tag, "What'd you do huh? Kill a soldier, a damn British soldier?"

"Think about is Alex, how hard is it to find a dead man on the beach of Dunkirk?" Tommy spoke, still standing up for Gibson...or whatever his man is.

"Get him off!" A man shouts. "He'll be the first to go!" Another yelled.

"NO!" I yelled over the chaos.

"He's just trying to survive..." Tommy said but Alex cut him off.

"We all are Tommy!" Alex said pushing Gibson, "Not all of us are making it home but I'll be damned if this frog lives and makes it out of here and I don't." Alex snarled.

"Alex!" I snapped. "He is a person. He's not a German!! Hell, he has risked his life for you more than once." I snarled at him.

"And he will save us again by going up to the deck." He snapped back.

"What about getting home safe huh? It's going to take all of us." I snapped.

"I promised to get you home, not him!" Alex shot back.

"He goes along with with promise Alex!!" I yelled back.

Tommy steps in, "Even if we throw him off, he won't do much good. There is still to much weight on the boat." Tommy stepped in.

"Then you'll go next." Someone said while others agree.

"Stop this, all of you." I said trying to break them up.

"Why don't you go then pretty lady?" A man said.

Worst part is, most of them agreed.

~*~

And another chapter completed!!!

Hope you're liking the story.

Any predictions on what will happen next?

Please comment and vote, it really helps!!!

Till The Next Chapter🖤