[17]: Given Up?

Tommy's POV:

Pain. An agonizing pain sores through my body. My vision has blurred within seconds after we entered the rusted flat.

Stupid ass pain. Stupid ass Dunkirk.

Times like these make me wish I could be back at home with a nice cup of hot tea and a biscuit. Visiting my mum whenever the time feels right.

Damn you, you stupid bullet.

"That's a lot of blood." Peter mutters.

"Dumbass. Of course it's a lot of blood. I've been bloody shot!" I seethe through the pain with teeth clenched.

Maybe I'm not the nicest lad when I'm in pain. But who would be?

"The bullet pierced his left side." Alex muttered.

"Could you idiots let the nurse look at it, please?" I mutter, rolling my head back.

Autumn comes to my side and I feel her hands push against my wound. I don't look to see what she's doing, fear of seeing how bad it truly is.

I'm dead. This is probably the end.

"By the pressure I've been putting on it and from the spot where the bullet has hit, the bullet didn't hit any major organs but we need to get you medical attention a soon as possible." She stats. I finally look between her and my wound.

Blood has stained through my shirt and spilled over the floor. "We should at least try to find a medical kit before he bleeds out." Autumn says worriedly up at Alex.

"Thanks for beating around the bush love." I force out.

She looks down at me with a sympathetic look.

"It would be best in our favor if we hurry." The young Peter spoke.

Peter.

He's quite a fool isn't he. Willing to listen to our dear Autumn. Ha, we're all fools with hope aren't we? I laugh to myself.

"They are nearing the flat." Alex spoke quietly.

I groan as the pain grows. It's a numb, uncontrollable pain. A pain I never had expected to endure but then again, what the hell is to be expected in Dunkirk.

"I think he's blacking out?" Autumn's face appears in front of mine as she examines my eyes.

"No, I'm fully here." I try to smile at her but wince at the pain.

"You" Alex points at Peter.

"It's Peter." I mumble. "The twat can't remember his name." I laugh but a grunt soon follows to show the pain I'm enduring.

"Get on his left and help me lift em." Alex ignores me as he directs Peter over to me.

As they lift me I feel a rush of pain run through my body.

"Stop! Stop!" Autumn yells. "You're hurting him." She runs a hand through her hair.

"I-I'm" My words are cut off by a cough, "I'm sorry."

Autumn kneels beside me with tears in her eyes, "No, you don't get to be sorry. We're going to get you up and out of here." She huffs.

I hear Alex ask a 'how' as I lay here with my eyelids closed.

Fighting is one thing, but not having something to fight for is nothing. That is where I stand. No one is here to fight for me and I have no one left to fight for.