[13]: The Return

Alex's POV:

The misty salt of the ocean blue sea hits my face as we sail over the horrific waves of Dunkirk. Loud bangs, crashing waves and hollering soldiers cloud my thoughts. It's been two days since I proposed. It's been nearly a day since I left. It's June 1st, 1940. Fucking June 1st being the day I had to leave my love.

Autumn, my Hazel.

I promised her that I will stay safe but that didn't mean others won't try and bring harm to me. We both knew that but we'd be damned to speak of it.

"Thoughts?" Tommy asked, placing himself beside me.

"How close are we?"

"Eh, bout five minute from the island. You can kind'a see it in the distance." He pointed off into the distance.

I didn't bother to look, just nodded in response. I didn't want to look, Hell I didn't want to even think of the damn place. Dunkirk will only ever bring a poor soul nightmares.

"What do you picture Autumn doin right now?" Tommy questioned.

I raised an eyebrow, shes probably being her beautiful, worried, concerned self. God I miss her and it hasn't even been a damn minute!! "Whatever she's doing, she's safe. Though, you shouldn't be picturing her doin anything." I narrowed an eye at him.

He nodded with a goofy smile, "Yes sir."

I bit back my small grin. Tommy and I have grown as friends to my surprise. Though I still keep an eye out on that bastard, he's not too bad.

"Steady men! We are ready to shore!" The Sargent yelled.

All the soldiers got in line and ready.

Men grabbed their equipment, bags, ropes, anything that could be of use and once we were close to sand, we all hauled off. Jumping into the freezing ice water that was not once missed.

Pushing my boots through the salted water, my eyes graze over the shore. Not much has changed other than the many old and new marks left from fires, gun shots, missiles. Hell, you name it.

"Alex, hurry id up lad." One of the soldiers yelled back. I grunted and continued to make it up to the smoky sand.

As we all caught our breaths and placed the equipment down. "This place hasn't changed a bit." Tommy commented, stepping beside me. "Guess it's true what they say..."

"Hell is hell." We both spoke in unison.

"Keep it movin boys, you're burning daylight." The Sargent yelled as he stood back and continued to speak with the commander.

"Asshole." A solider murmured.

"What was that?!" The Sargent yelled. This man is tall and lean. He is new this time round and boy do we dislike his ass.

"Nothin." The boy spat. He was about to walk off.

The Sargent stepped up and grabbed his collar. "Speak up boy!" He yelled in his face. That's when I noticed it, the accent.

His British accent had faded and became more, more what?

Oh fuck...

"GERMAN!!!" I yelled.

Everyone looked at me with confusion written on their faces but instinct kicked in, along with realization.

The Sargent let go of the boys collar and started yelling incoherent words as he ran towards the opening where the French were meant to guard.

The beach has now gone into attack. All I see are the British running and ducking while the German come out from hiding with weapons in arms.

"Alex, what are we going to do?" Tommy yelled over the commotion. That's the question Tommy. I don't know. I'm stunned. "Alex!"

Instincts kick in as I hear the first gun fire. "RUN!"

Tommy and I push through the sand dodging stray bodies. Men are fighting all around us.

It was not long until we had no other choice but to fight with them. We had dropped our equipment so now all we had left we're ourselves.

"You are surrounded. Stop fighting now." A man spoke in a thick German accent.

We all looked around to see we were surrounded.

"Stand down." I yelled. If we kept fighting more, if not all of us would die.

"Smart boy." He spoke, giving me a wicked grin.

They made a line of themselves for us to walk in between. As we did a line between the tears, I looked to Tommy. He looked hopeless, Hell I would too if I didn't have Autumn on my mind.

I need to get out of Dunkirk to get back to her. I have to.

"Du erbärmlicher Feigling" The Sargent, or should I say trader spoke. He laughed "Nothing but pathetic cowards."

What the hell is this bastard saying.

"Get on your knees!" Another tall man in a uniform yelled at us. Grunts were heard but we did what we were told. "You are going to do as we say and you will do it without thought. You will not ask questions or you will die. Understood!?" He yelled as men started padding us down as we remained on our knees.

The day is running out. We haven't been here long yet here we are, on our knees while our lives are in the hands of our enemy's.

"Plan?" Tommy whispered.

"Still thinking. You?" I nodded back. In reply I got a smug look but I didn't know what it meant, nor did I have time to ask as we were grabbed by the arm and pulled to our feet.

"Stand them by the shore, that way they won't have anywhere to run in case they get an idea." I heard one of the German commanders whispers.

"What's going on?" The other asked.

"We saw a bomber pilot in the distance, along with a British boat." The commander replied.

That's all I heard as we began to be led to the shore. Who would have been sent? The majority of the soldiers are already here and I can't count on one that would be willing to offer themselves up to come back to this hell hole.

Well, I could always think of one but that's just out of thought.

"Did you hear em?" I nudged Tommy. He nodded. "Who would come?" I asked more myself than him.

He grinned again. "What the bloody hell are you grinnin at?" I whisper yelled.

He nodded his head over to the right where the large dock is. Just under the dock flowed long fawn brown hair that had fallen out of the small cap on top of her head.

Autumn.

~*~

And the love birds are nearly reunited.
....just not quite yet

Make sure to comment, leave predictions and hit the star and vote if you're liking the story!

Till The Next Chapter🖤