[2]: Don't Drown

Previously On, Home Is Her -
"The boat was ready to set sail until a missile struck the side of the boat and everything started going down from there...literally."

I begin to panic and look around frantically. I'm going to die. I'm actually going to die. I can see it now, Autumn Smith, the young maiden who's stupidity was larger than her head.

Being cut from my thoughts I hear my name being yelled. "Jump Autumn!!! Damnit Autumn...JUMP!!" I look down and see Tommy frantically waving along with the boy next to him with a worried look on his face.

I nod to myself and pull myself over the railing and stand tall. "Come on, that's it!!" Tommy yells. In less then I second I jump screaming the whole way down until the cold water touches my skin.

"Holy hell thats cold." I groan

"Haha, that's it darling." Tommy smiles and him and the other young man pull me out of the ice water.

"Thanks Tommy and..." I look down at his tag, "Gibson." I smile through my jittering teeth.

I look to see the boat slowly sinking. "A man!!! Help him!!" I tell pointing to the man about to be squished between the boat and dock.

Tommy and Gibson grab the young man as quickly as they could before he gets squashed to death.

We all lay against the wooden stables panting from recent events. "Thank you" the man spoke breathlessly. All of us nod. Tommy and Gibson dip themselves in the water right before we head up to the top to portray the idea that they were on the boat as well.

Just as all the men return onto the dock, my father scurries over to me and checks for any injuries. "I'm fine Papa." I smile as he follows with a nod.

My father stands on a small wooden box to grab everyone's attention.

"Men!!! I'm about to do one of the most selfish things I have probably ever done in my years of being a commander and solider." I look up at him in confusion as he rests his hand in my shoulder. "I have dragged my daughter out here to Dunkirk in hopes more people will return from her outstanding medical training, though things didn't go to plan." He sighs, "I am staying behind in Dunkirk and I am putting the life of my daughter in your hands, your new mission is to not only return home safely, but to return home safely with my daughter as unharmed as possible."

Some huffed and others nodded. I looked to Tommy and Gibson who just smiled. Then I looked to the man we had just saved. His emerald green eyes looked right into mine. Now getting a good look at him, I must say he is quite handsome. I couldn't unravel the expression that played on his face though.

After saying a farewell to my father I hopped onto a small boat with the other men that would lead us to our new ship to lead us home.

Standing with Gibson behind me and Tommy and the young man who's name I have yet to learn on either side of me.

I tapped him on the arm and looked up, "What's your...em name?" I asked suddenly losing all of my confidence.

"Alex." He said not even bothering to look at me. Hmm, he seems peachy.

I mentally roll my eyes and look down at the moving water. I look up when I hear the men's voices start to rise.

We are almost to the ship that had a wide rope on the side for us to climb up on. This should be easy...right?

When the boat came to a stop Gibson lifted me onto the rope but it is difficult to escalate up the rope as I am constantly being shoved left to right.

By now my long hair is hanging loosely and is constantly being pulled. I feel a pair of masculine hands wrap around me waist pushing me upwards making it easier to reach the top.

Once I make it to the top I see Alex right behind me and I smile shyly, "thanks." He simply nods.

We help Gibson and Tommy up. Then I hear a horrific scream of a man that fell between the two boats. I gasp and try to go help when Alex and Tommy grab both my arms and shake their head left to right.

"It's not worth it Hazel." Alex finally spoke a full sentence.

"They've got it Autumn. It's cold and you don't have a jacket, let's get you inside." I nod and follow the boys.

Walking through the crowds of men. They all stare directly at my tight, wet v-neck top. I glare at them while covering myself with my arms.

Alex looks down at me and furrows his eyes and glares at the men. He roughly grabs one of them and whispers something in their ear. In less than a second the man is shrugging his jacket off with fear in his eyes and hands it to me.

I cautiously grab it from him and reply with a small 'thank you'.

Walking around, kind women offer toast with jam on it, which Tommy, Alex and I kindly accept.

Eating the bread Alex looks to Tommy and asks, "What's wrong with your friend?"

I look between Tommy and Alex. "He wants to go home like the rest of us." Tommy replied.

Alex didn't bother to carry on the conversation and went to grab a life vest with Tommy. I was heading that way as well when my boot got stuck on a hook.

I bent down to grab it when a loud boom shook the whole boat and screaming erupted around me. Water bursted through the doors and suddenly everyone was underwater, trapped.

I tried to swim up when I realized my boot was still stuck. I began to panic and tried to pull my boot off which to my luck wasn't working. I tried to unhook it but that wasn't working either.

Running out of air from panicking, everything starts to fade out, then all I see is black.

~*~

Did you like the chapter?

Any predictions?

If you're liking the story so far, please comment and vote

If you're liking the story so far, please comment and vote...it really helps!!!

Till The Next Chapter🖤