[11]: Mother dearest

Previously on Home Is Her...

"My time in Dunkirk isn't over Autumn."

Have I gone mental or did I hear that correctly.

"Pardon?" I say facing him.

"I'm being drafted out again. The war isn't over." Alex says with his head down.

I hold my hands together and nod up and down slowly, biting my lip tightly to prevent my sobs.

"When?" My voice came out raspy.

"June 1st, 1940."

***

Tommy's POV:

Heading back home from hearing the recent engagement between Autumn and Alex, I look over the rocks on the sand below the dock my feet stand on. I walk down to the rocks and stand on them. What will happen when we go back there? Why bother even thinking of what will happen?

I guess it doesn't make sense to a person who doesn't have anything to worry about going somewhere that could possible give them something.

It's hard to think I've been home for only so long and I'm heading back out to the place that might just end up killing me in the end. Dunkirk.

Leaving isn't as hard the second time as it was the first.

I jump off the rock and head back towards my flat. I guess I should stop for food, just for mum.

"Tommy! How ya doing lad?" A good man, Leo asked.

I laughed, "It's going."

"That's no answer ya wanker." He patted me on the back.

I look down to see the fruit in the stand next to him, a grin growing on my face. "I'll give you a better one if you give me that fruit."

~*~

"Mum, I'm home!" I call out to her, I know she will be right around the corner though that wouldn't cause the poor lad to hear an earthquake through the bloody flat.

"I brought home food for you." I added, entering the room she lie.

She turned to me. Her eyes bloodshot red, flushed from the cheeks she spoke, "Bout time you got home Tommy."

"Sorry mum."'

She huffed and tripped over to the sofa.
"H-Heading back to Dunkirk I hear." She hiccuped.

"Yes ma'am." I put the food away.

"Look at me when I talk to you!" She snapped. "Worthless, just like your father." She huffed. "I'd be a damned fuck if I let you treat me like him. Just go boy."

"Mum, you're in no shape to..."

"Get out!" She stands from her spot but begins to fall.

I rush from my spot, dropping the items in my hands to catch her. "Please, go get rest and I'll clean this up." I tell her.

"Look at the mess you made" Mum growls. "Idiot." She huffs.

"I know Mum." I help her to her small room in the back.

Walking past the narrow hallway in our small flat. I set her on the small bed in the middle. "Goodnight." I kiss her forehead. Heading towards the door.

"Tommy." She whispers.

"Yes?" I look to her restless form. To the tired form that once was filled with happiness and care. The form that was once the caring mum that gave me birth.

"I hope you don't return from Dunkirk. Ya mut." Her drunken, tired state murmurs.

Without a response, I shut her door quietly and exit the room.

Returning to the small mess created I pick it up and set it on the counter.

Admitting Dunkirk is horrible is simple but admitting it could also be a small blessing is a whole separate challenge.

My challenge.

It's a challenge I'll face on my own and all on my own.

With a grunt I step out of the flat and look at the setting sky. The sky that changes every night but has the same cycle everyday.

Hands in pocket, I walk. I don't know exactly where I'm walking, just walking.

If Gibson was here what would he be doing right now?

I laugh. Probably just silently calling me a dumbass for putting up with the shit I do.

I stop in my spot and look up.

"I miss you Gibson." I sigh, "And now I'm a fucking fool for talking to nothing but sky." I run my hand through my hair.

"What has Dunkirk done to me." I mumble.

~*~
Poor Tommy :(

Comment, predict and vote.

Till The Next Chapter🖤