Chapter 27 - "Don't worry so much."

“Big Time Condo? Is that what you all really call it?” I laughed.

Logan’s hand still in mine, we walked to the front of the “Big Time Condo”. He unlocked the door and inside, I saw the most beautiful place I’d ever been in my entire life. “Yep, that’s what we call it. Well? What do you think?”

My voice was caught in my throat. White walls, caramel colored wood floors. White couches and a string of lights made out of old mason jars and tiny candles. The living room was amazing. The view was even more glorious. Directly ahead of the front door were two sliding glass doors that held a perfect view of Santa Monica beach. The ocean’s blue and the sparkle of the sand in the sun were more beautiful than I’d ever seen them.

“Oh, Logan. It’s…amazing.” I breathed.

He looked at me and grinned. “I knew you’d like it better than some hotel. Who needs the Ritz when you can have this?”

I laughed at his joke. “You’re right. Absolutely. Carlos was cool with me staying here on my own?”

”Oh, yeah, totally,” Logan said, “He approved most definitely. He said he’d come by tonight and bring you something to eat so you wouldn’t have to worry about it.”

I smiled. “Carlos, Carlos, Carlos. Always looking out for me. He’s the best. And his cooking! He’s got to be the best chef out there.” Logan nodded in agreement and for a moment, we stood in complete awe of the beach itself. “So, do you want me to give you a tour?” he said after a few minutes. “Sure, I’d love that.” I said happily.

The kitchen was small, but cozy. It shared the same beige tile and white walls as the bathroom. There were only two bedrooms, one with two sets of bunk beds covered in different color comforters – red, blue, green, and purple – and the other that held a king size bed with a sheer curtain and a plushy white comforter.

“Is everything in this place white?” I giggled as we finished the tour of the one-story condo. Logan looked over at me and shrugged, a smile spreading across his lips. “James decorated. He said it had to look and feel like a beach house to be a beach house. Being on the beach wasn’t enough.” I laughed and let go of Logan’s hand to retrieve my luggage, which I’d left next to the front door. “Thanks again, Logan. It means a lot to me that you’re helping me out.”

“It’s no big deal. I want to help you. I’m gonna head out now. It’s 8 already. The guys will get worried. Carlos should be over in a while.” He said.

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you later then?”

He grinned. “Yeah, I’ll stop by tomorrow to see what you’re up to. I’ll let you know if I can’t make it. Bye, Sam.” He kissed my cheek, and like that, he was out the door.

I watched as he hailed a cab and when he was gone, I locked up and sat on the couch, waiting for Carlos. Not ten minutes had passed and I was already fidgeting. I got up, unpacked my things, and stored them away in the dresser that was in the room with the king size bed. I changed into my pajamas, washed my face, and found myself back on the couch.

Where was Carlos?

I picked up my iPhone to check the time and saw that it was only 8:45. I was scrolling through Twitter when a message from Carlos came up.

“On my way (:was all it said.

I nestled under a blanket that someone had left on the chair in the living room and watched ‘Pawn Stars’ until I heard a knock at the door.

I got up, answered the door, and was nearly knocked to the ground from one of Carlos’ hugs. “Hey, Sammy! I missed you so much.” He was grinning from ear to ear. I smiled at him and said, “I missed you too. A LOT.”

He went over to the kitchen and started serving the still warm spaghetti he’d brought with him on plates he took from the cabinet. I stood looking at him from over the counter and giggled. “Didn’t James and Kendall think it was weird that you left with a container of spaghetti?” I said. He looked up and rolled his eyes playfully.

“No, Sam, they didn’t. I told them that I had made Gustavo mad earlier and this was for him.”

“Well THAT’S not hard to believe. How is Gustavo doing anyway?” I said, suddenly remembering that my leaving had to have affected him too. Carlos looked up and handed me a plate. Grabbing his own, he gestured to the chairs in the living room. “Well,” he said as we made ourselves comfortable. “he was pretty peeved that you left. He’s been looking into other opening acts.” I shrugged, pretending not to care. I twirled my spaghetti around the fork and said, “That’s good.”

Carlos put his hand on top of mine and I looked up from my food. “You know,” he said gently, “he’d take you back as the opening act in a heartbeat. Whether he wants to admit it or not, he liked you. Probably more than he likes us ‘dogs’.”

“Thanks, Carlos. You always did know what to say.” I smiled half-heartedly and took a big bite of the spaghetti. He shrugged.

When we finished up, Carlos washed the dishes, and I sat on the counter watching him. “So…how is he?” I asked. I didn’t even have to say Kendall’s name, Carlos knew. “He’s pretty shitty, to be honest.”

“Really?”

He looked up from the soapy dishwater, very serious. “Yeah, Sam. I’ve never seen him so…sad.” I closed my eyes and when I opened them up, Carlos was still looking at me. “Do you think he wants to see me?” I asked, scared to hear the answer. “I think so. I think he misses you like crazy and he’s afraid to admit it. Actually…I know. You can read that guy like an open book.” He shut off the water and sat on the counter across from me. “Do you know what you’re gonna say?” Carlos asked. “Kind of. Not really. I’m just gonna show up at the concert…and take it from there.” He nodded, his hands tucked under his arms. “Alright,” he said, “Do you want me to pick you up on Friday before the rehearsal then?” I shook my head. “No, thanks. I’m just gonna grab a taxi and head over when the concert’s supposed to start.” Carlos snapped his fingers and brought a hand to his forehead. “That reminds,” he said, taking a laminate from his back pocket, “Here. It’s a VIP pass. So you can get in without any problems.” I took it from him, moving my finger along it’s hard surface. “Thanks.” I said, smiling.

“No problem. Well, I’m gonna head out Sammy.” he said, hopping off the counter. “I don’t anyone to get suspicious.” I nodded. “Yeah, okay.” I got off too and hugged Carlos. I walked him to the door. “Try and relax tomorrow, Sam. You have a whole day before the concert. Just chill. I’ll stop by again and bring you something to eat.” Carlos said, squeezing my shoulder. “I will, hopefully. IF I’m not dying from anxiety or something.” He laughed. “Don’t worry so much.”

He got in his car and before I knew it, he was gone. Lonely was the only thing I was feeling. I shut off the TV and the lights and snuggled under the sheets that adorned the king size bed. I stared at the moon through the one huge window in the room and took a deep breath. One day. One day and then Kendall.

Don’t worry so much. Carlos’ words echoed throughout my mind.

“Yeah, Sam,” I whispered to myself sarcastically, “Don’t worry so much. What could you possibly be worried about?”

I shut my eyes and before I knew it, I was out.