Chapter 14 - It Is What It Is

I flagged down a cab outside of the Palmwoods and slipped inside. I directed the driver to Roque Records and settled into my seat. I stared out the window and adjusted my dress. I felt so at ease today. I took my phone out of my bag and sent Kendall a quick, "I Love You!" text. He responded quickly, replying with: "I love you too :) good luck with Griffin!" I smiled at his support and put away my phone. 

As we neared Rocque Records, I noticed that there were more people than usual outside. I looked closely and noticed cameras around their neck. Paparazzi. I shook my head. Some celebrity was inside and they were waiting for a glimpse. The cab stopped in front of the bullding and I paid him quickly. I opened the door, stepped out, and suddenly, flashing lights were surrounding me. "Samantha! Is it true you're dating Kendall Knight?" "Is that ring on your finger mean you're getting married? Is it to Kendall?" "Samantha! SAMANTHA!" Questions buzzed all around me as I pushed past. I knew well enough not to answer them. It was only too common for them to twist things around. Finally, I made into RR and calmed myself down. The paparrazi stood outside still, but I was safer here. 

I went up to Gustavo's office and knocked. "COME IN!" he said. I pulled open the door handle and stepped inside. "Oh, hi Sam. I was just about to call you. Griffin listened to your cover and he loved it! He said if you could up with a few more original tracks, he'd love for to be a part of the Big Time Tour!" I grinned wider than I had in a while. "Really? That's great! Don't worry Gustavo, I have a sheet in my bag. I'm ready to record it if you are." Gustavo stood up. "Good. Let's do this then." I nodded and headed down the hall to the studio. I set my things down on the couch as Gustavo and Kelly, who had suddenly appeared, prepared the sound board. I handed Kelly the CD and went into the booth, setting my lyrics in front of me and picked up one the acoustic guitars that lay against the wall. I strummed, and I tuned. By the time I was done, Gustavo and Kelly were ready. The track started, a slow piano bit, and I played the guitar with romantic fury. 

I started singing, putting so much passion into my song. I'd written it about Kendall. I smiled at the thought and as the music ended, Gustavo spoke into the mic. "Amazing! Just great. You can come on out now." I slid off the barstool and met Kelly and Gustavo head-on. Gustavo cleared his throat. "Uhm...Samantha? That ring on your finger..." I looked down at my hand, as if I didn't know what he meant. "Yeah...?" Kelly looked me in the eyes. "...is that from Kendall?" I looked at the ground and nodded. "WHAT WAS HE THINKING!?" Oh great, I thought, Gustavo's gonna have a fit. He looked at me, fury already forming in his eyes. "Gustavo..." I began, "Momma Knight already gave us consent. I just...I just need to talk to my parents." He ran his hand through his hair and took a deep breath. "Fine. Talk to them. Griffin wants you and the dogs to be here tomorrow at 7 o' clock sharp." I looked at him. "In the morning?" "Yes in the morning! Be here." he said. I nodded and Kelly gave me a sympathetic look. I gave her a smile and walked out into the hall. Even though Gustavo had gotten pretty upset, he knew about my engagement to Kendall, another factor in our lives that had been settled. 

I walked outside, glad to see that the paparazzi had left, and caught a cab. "Where to?" "Santa Monica Pier." He started the car and drove down the road. I stared out the window, nervous little butterflies already flinting along in my stomach. The beach was the perfect place to talk to my parents. It'd been about a week or two since I'd talked to them myself. Hopefully, they wouldn't freak. 

The cab stopped suddenly and I realized we were already here. I payed the driver and got out quickly. I stepped off the sidewalk and into the sand. I took my sandals off and slipped them into my bag, feeling the cool sand in between my toes. 

I sat on the bench, the same bench that Kendall and I had sat on the day he told me about his troubles with Jo, and grabbed my phone. I dialed my mom's cell and tryed to calm down by listening to it ring. "Hello?" she finally answered. "Hey Mom." I said. "Sammy! I haven't heard from you in a while. I assume California's treating you well?" I smiled at her voice, and tried to swallow back the lump in my throat. "Uhm...yeah. Really good, actually. Mom?" "Yes sweetie?" I sighed. "I have to talk to you." There was a pause. "You can tell me anything, sweetheart, you know that." I brushed my bangs out of my face and took a deep breath. "Mom, I'm getting married."