Chapter 7 - That Moment

The next morning I woke up with my stomach in knots. What if Gustavo didn't like me? What if the compliments on my singing had been lies all along? I got up, went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and curled my hair into long, beachy waves. I put on my favorite white sundress and some brown strappy wedges. I did my make-up and looked myself up and down in the mirror, trying to find some sense of courage and confidence in the girl who looked worried and scared.

I jumped at a knock on the door and said, "Come in..."

It was James. He had on a white V-neck, jeans, and smelled like Barracuda Man Spray. He smiled at me and said, "Oh, you're up. Carlos sent me over here to get you. Ready then?" I nodded and grabbed my phone as I followed James into the kitchen. Everyone turned their eyes on me, some shocked, some impressed, with the way I looked today. It wasn't like me to get so done-up, I would've been satisfied with a pair of cargo shorts and a baggy sweater, but I really wanted Gustavo to take me seriously. Kendall's eyes locked on mine and gave me a discreet 'thumbs-up' signal. I blushed and looked at the floor. Mrs. Knight smiled at me and said, "You look lovely, dear." I thanked her and sat down at the table, scarfing down a bowl of cereal to keep myself focused on one thing.

I felt Katie's eyes on me, and when I finally looked up into her direction, she raised her eyebrows and gave me a 'What is with the outfit?' kind of look. I shrugged and mouthed, "I want Gustavo to like me." She nodded, agreeing, and gave me a confident smile. My phone buzzed and I noticed she'd sent me a text.

"You'll do just great. Don't freak. Sure, I know, Gustavo can be a bit harsh, but you have talent. He'll love you. Break a leg. :)"

I looked up at her and smiled. She returned it and went back to doing the crossword puzzle.

I put my bowl in the sink, getting ready to leave with the guys to Rocque Records. I followed them out to the lot and sat in between James and Logan in the backseat of Kendall's car. The breeze was enough to keep me calm though the whole 30-minute drive.

My heart was pounding as my shaking legs carried me up the stairs and to Gustavo's office. The guys seemed so calm. Hadn't they been nervous at all on their first day? Hadn't they shook and shivered like I did right now? Kendall held the door to the studio open for me and I stepped inside.

There he was, sitting at the control panel next to his assistant, Kelly Wainwright. He swiveled around his chair and faced me. He had an intimadating gaze. "SO!," he said in his booming voice, "this is Samantha Garcia. You know Carlos never shuts up about you? Anyway, let's get this started. DOGS! I need you guys to go to Studio B and practice the vocals for 'Worldwide.' Kelly! Give Samantha something to sing." Kelly handed me the lyrics to Lady Antebellum's 'Need You Now'. "This okay?" she asked. I nodded and gave her a small smile. "Just do your best Samantha. It'll all work out fine." she said. "Ok, will do." I said.

I got into the booth and set up while the opening beats to the song played in the headphones I was wearing.

I started to sing, hitting every note in the perfect place, feeling my chest heave up and down. It felt amazing, to put some much of the emotion I felt lately into a song that held so much meaning.

I sung the final chorus: "I just need you now. Baby, I need you now."

The music ended and my heart was racing. Gustavo spoke first as I walked out of the booth.

"That was good, I have to admit. I'll send this cover to Griffin, see what he thinks, and maybe, we can make you the opening act on BTR's tour."

I smiled and said, "Ok. Call me tomorrow with the news then?" Gustavo gave me a thumbs up and Kelly smiled as I walked out of the studio. I looked around the empty waiting area, looking for Studio B.

I finally found it down the hall and quietly stepped inside. The guys didn't notice me.

James was in the booth, recording his part, as Carlos and Logan worked together on their harmonies.

Kendall was the last one I noticed. He was sitting on a stool in the corner, humming the words to 'Worldwide', as he played his guitar. His hands moved swfitly across the strings, everything about him was truly spectacular.

"SAM! Hey! How'd it go?" James asked me. I smiled. "It was great. Gustavo's gonna send the cover to Griffin and see what he thinks." I said. James nodded and Carlos smiled proudly at me. Logan grinned as I looked into his direction and waved me towards him. Kendall stopped playing for a minute, trying to see what I was doing, and then picked right up again. I sat next to Logan and said, "Yeah?" He looked at me and said loudly, "Can you and Kendall go get us some fruit water? It'd mean a lot." I blushed, knowing what he was trying to do. I shrugged and said, "Yeah, sure." Kendall grinned and hopped off his stool.

We both walked down the hall, turning the corner to get to the staff kitchen. He put his hand on mine as I reached out to the fridge handle. I turned my head and looked into his eyes. He kissed me slowly, closing the fridge and putting his hands on my waist. I reached up, putting my hands at the nape of his neck.

His kisses got harder, more passionate, when I heard someone at the doorway.

It was Kelly.

She was staring at us, mouth agape, and shook her head. Kendall and I pulled away from each other. She was still staring at us as she spoke. "Oh man, I was hoping those pictures weren't real...but now, I know they were. You better hope Gustavo doesn't find out about this, Kendall. If he does, he might just not want Sam on tour with you. You know how he is." Kendall nodded at what she said and squeezed my hand and gave me a quick peck on the cheek. "I'll see you back at the Palmwoods. Ok? I love you." I nodded, and said, "Ok. I think I'll go practice. I love you too." I gave him a big smile and looked at Kelly. "Can someone give me a ride back home? Please?" She nodded and said, "Just tell the driver out front where you wanna go. No problem." I thanked her and walked down the stairs. I touched my lips, not truly believing what had just happened back there. I blushed at my silly thought and got in the backseat of the car once I got out front.

"Uhm, Palmwoods, please." I told him.

He nodded poiltely and started driving. I leaned my face against the cool, tinted window. My eyes grazed the California scenery. My eyes began to close, giving me the perfect oppurtunity to slow down my hectic life with a nap.