Chapter 6 - Issues here, hope there.

We got into the elevator at the Palmwoods and Kendall pressed the 2nd floor button. Seeing as it was only us, I looked over at him and asked, "So...are we gonnna keep this," I made motion between us, "a secret?" 

He looked at the ground and said, "Maybe for a while...you're younger...don't get me wrong. I adore you. I'm just worried about what Gustavo might say..."

I processed it all and gave him the best smile I could conjure up. "It's cool...I get it..." He reached over and touched my arm and gave me the kiss I had wished for before the elevator doors opened. 

We walked over to 2J and braced ourselves. Kendall put the key in the lock and opened the apartment door. My stomach was in knots. Why? I didn't know at the time...but I just knew something wasn't right. 

Carlos, James, Logan, and Mrs. Knight were all sitting at the dining room table, surrounding the family laptop. 

Carlos was the first to look up. His eyes flashed two emotions: rage and confusion. 

"Hey. Where have *you* been?" Carlos directed towards me. 

I looked over at Kendall, who seemed oblivious to the whole conversation. "Uhm...I was with Kendall. He...uh...he wanted to go get something for Jo and he needed a feminine touch." I could tell Carlos didn't belive me. Not one bit. 

James glared at Kendall and out of nowhere, began to yell. "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!? What's Gustavo gonna say to this? Huh? WELL!?" He shoved the laptop in Kendall's face as Logan tried to hold back James. I couldn't help but notice what was on the screen. 

It was the pictures. The ones that the papparazzi had taken. They had managed to get the embrace, the hand-holding, our whole day. How had I never noticed them at all? 

"James...come on man! It's not that bad!' Kendall pleaded. 

Mrs. Knight finally spoke up. "Boys...I think it's time I talk to Sam and Kendall...alone." 

Carlos and the others stomped over to their rooms and Mrs. Knight motioned for us, the remaining two, to sit down. "So..." she began, "anybody wanna tell me what this is all about?" 

Kendall glanced over at me while I fiddled with my hands. 

He let out a deep, pained breath. "We spent the whole day together...the papparazzi ambushed us during THAT." He pointed to the picture of the hug. 

Mrs. Knight nodded. "Did you really think that this would work Kendall? I know you miss Jo...but bringing Sam into your love life? She's as old as Katie..sweetie, I realize you're lonely..." 

Kendall cut her off. 

"You think the only reason I kissed Sam is because I'm trying to fill the void that Jo left? Mom..I love you...but you're wrong. Sam and I have spent the whole summer together......and honestly...I love her." 

I looked at him at that instant. His green eyes sparkled when they met mine. "Really?" I said as soon as I found my voice. Kendall nodded his head in the most adorable way. "I love you too." I said, with the biggest blush I'd ever had. 

Mrs. Knight coughed nonchalantly and said, "Love is a strong word you two..."

Kendall and I both looked in her direction. It had never really occured to me that people would have an issue with our relationship. What would my parents think? 

Kendall stood up quickly, scaring me out of my train of thought. I glanced up at him. His face was pained.

"Mom? Is it that hard to accept what I feel for her?" Mrs. Knight looked at him and sighed. She didn't say a word. 

"...well...I guess I know where we stand." Kendall left the room, in the direction of his own, leaving me and Mrs. Knight alone together in the dining room. I got up to leave and she said, "I'm sorry Sam..."

I gave her a half-hearted smile and said, "It happens..." 

 ***

I walked over to my room and plopped myself down on the bed. The day's events were racing through my mind. How could it have gone from amazing to a truly awful nightmare? I lay down facing the cieling when Carlos walked in.

"You do know that you can't be together right?" were the first words out of his mouth.

I shot straight up and looked him in the eye. "Why? What's so wrong about me loving him?"

He flinched at the L- word, stepped back like it scorched him just to hear it. "You don't even know what love is..." My eyes began to fill with tears. How could he believe that? "I...I do know." I stuttered. 

Carlos came and sat next to me. He put his arm around my shoulders and I leaned into his chest, sobbing. "You know I'm only worried about you, right?" he asked. I nodded into his shirt, already damp with my tears. I couldn't fight with Carlos. He was my big brother. The person who convinced me that riding a bike without training wheels would be the best thing ever, even after I fell and scraped both my knees twice. He was the one who held me when my first boyfriend broke my heart in 8th grade. He had always been there. He'd always been the one to hear me out. And now, it was my turn to listen. 

"I know you care about him, Sammy. I know that, but can't you see that it just won't work? He's in a band. He's always moving around. We all are. You're young. You still have school and Mom and Dad back home. Do you want Kendall to hold you back from that?" 

I sat up, facing him. I dried my eyes and took a deep breath. I looked Carlos straight in the eye and said, "I can go on tour with you guys. You're always saying how great my voice is. Why not let us give this whole relationship a shot? I know what you're trying to say, I get that it'll be hard, but I'm willing to try...if he is." 

Carlos got up and hugged me tight. He gave me a weary, tired smile and looked at me. "Sammy...," he began, "...I guess I'll talk to Gustavo for you." 

I couldn't believe my ears. I smiled the biggest smile I'd ever given and jumped up from the bed and squeezed my big brother until he laughed and tugged me off. "Thank you! Thank you sooooo much!" I gushed. He patted my head, just like he had back home, and smiled. "Just be ready for Gustavo. He's not exactly kind and caring." he said. I nodded and lied back down when Carlos had left and shut the door. I smiled to myself and covered myself with a blanket. I lay on my side, staring at the Palmwoods pool, the moon reflecting off it's glossy water. 

I feel asleep that night, with more than happiness. It was more like hope.

Hope for love. Hope for Kendall.