Chapter 9 - Love Is All You Need

"Sam? Wake up." 

I thought I was dreaming, but when I opened my eyes, I was glad I wasn't. I saw Kendall's face and smiled. "Hey..." I said wearily, "what are you doing here?" I glanced around my room, making sure I was still there. He sat on the edge of the bed, grinning, and stroking my hair. I could stay in that moment forever. 

"Let's go somewhere. it'll be fun. Yes?" he said in a low whisper. 

I looked at the clock and saw that it was five minutes to being three in the morning. I sat up, suddenly confused. "And do what? It's three in the morning!" He just smiled. "You said you trusted me. Now prove it." It was a challenge and I wasn't about to say no. "Fine," I said happily, "let me change and I'll go trust you." He laughed and walked out of the room, closing the door quietly, and I ran to my closet. This couldn't be happening! I was giddy and nervous at the same time. What did I need for a trip like this? I sent him a quick text, asking what I needed, and he replied with, "A swimsuit and an extra pair of clothes!" 

My mind was reeling as I put shorts and a t-shirt over my bikini. What were we going to do? I got a bag, threw a few things in, and grabbed my phone. I left my room and met Kendall in the living room. He grabbed my hand and we went out to the hall. Kendall shut and locked the door quickly.

We made a dash to the elevator, laughing as I tripped over the rug. Once we got out to the parking lot, we both jumped into his car and I cranked up "If I Ruled the World'. He grinned at my choice and I smiled in return. He turned onto the freeway with the top down, leaving us free to smell the beach air and feel the Cali breeze under the drifting stars. 

I closed my eyes, and before I knew it, Kendall was shaking my shoulder gently, telling me to wake up. I got out of the car with him and looked around. We parked on the edge of a cliff. It wasn't high, not too much, but it was still enough to freak me out. The view was beautiful, the moon perched directly in front of us, giving the Pacific a romantic glow. I turned to Kendall. "What are we doing here?" He smiled. "Cliff-diving." My eyes opened wide. "WHAT!?" He grabbed my hand. "There's nothing to be afraid of! Just trust me." I rolled my eyes, already taking off my shorts and tee. I stood there facing him in my bikini. "I swear, Kendall Knight, if I die, it's all on you!" He laughed and grabbed my hand, ready to jump in his board shorts. We went to the edge and I took a deep breath.

He squeezed my hand and counted to three, screaming JUMP! 

We jumped. 

It was a rush. As my body hit the cold water, I latched onto Kendall. I wrapped my legs around his waist as we floated along, and wrapped my hands around his neck, laughing. "THAT WAS AWESOME!" I screamed. "I told you!" he said, smiling. He leaned in, kissing me gently, and moved a piece of hair out of my face, one hand still on the small of my back. He shifted me to his back as he swam to shore, and at that moment, I knew that all I wanted in life was to be with him, and only him. 

I hopped off his back as we made it back up the cliff to the car. He led me to the cliffs edge again and said, "Wait here." I stood there confused, but did as he said. He jogged to the car, reaching in, and came back quickly. He stood in front of me, got on one knee, and I covered my mouth. "Sam," he began, holding a ring box up to me, "will you marry me?" I nodded quickly, and hugged him as he stood up. "Kendall, I love you so much!" He slipped the ring on my finger and tears of joy slipped down my cheeks. He kissed them away and said, "I love you too. More than you'll ever know." Reality swept over me. "Kendall..I'm only 16. How will this work?" He thought for a moment. "You can get parental consent! We can get married if your parents say it's okay." I smiled. "I hope they say yes." He held me, kissing my forehead, "We'll get married. Even if we have to wait two years."