Chapter 3 - The Time Ticking By

One lazy Friday morning, I laid in my bed, staring at the ceiling, feeling my chest move up and down along with my breath. Two more months. Two more months. It kept crawling through my head. It seemed like so little, especially because of the way time seemed to slip through my grasp. I didn’t want to leave, I didn’t want to go back to Minnesota. Sure, I missed my parents, but it wasn’t as if I’d never see them again. You’re so selfish. I immediately felt guilty.

I sighed loudly and got out of bed, not even bothering to change out of my pajamas. Before leaving the room, I snuck a glance at the alarm clock; it blinked 5:30 am. I shook my head at the idea of being awake so early.

 I shut the door quietly and went over and heaved myself onto the big, orange couch. My heart was beating fast, probably from not working out since last year. I laughed at my couch potato-ness. I clicked on the remote and put on a rerun of America’s Next Top Model. I settled into a blanket that I’d left in the living room the night before and leaned against one of the pillows. My eyes were closing slowly and I was trying to keep them open when a guy voice woke me up.

“You actually like that stuff?” It was Kendall, teasing. I grinned at him sleepily. “Maybe I do, maybe I don’t.” He hopped over the edge of the couch and landed beside me in a heave and grabbed the remote from under my leg. “Well, too bad! My TV!” he said as he scrolled for something better to watch. I sat up and did as best as I could to cover my pajamas. They weren’t exactly embarrassing (shorts with a v-neck) but Carlos would probably deem them ‘inappropriate’. Kendall looked over at me. I loved those soft green eyes. I loved his voice. I loved everything about him. “Earth to Sam! Anyone home?” I jerked out of my daydream and said, “Whaaa?” He laughed at my absent minded-ness. “I saaaaaid, how long have you been up?” “What time is it?” He glanced over at the clock and answered, “Seven.”

“Oh…then probably like an hour and a half.”

He raised his eyebrows (who didn’t love those eyebrows?) and clicked his tongue. “Wow, well um, wanna go get some coffee?” I crinkled my forehead. “Coffee?” He cocked his head and said, “Don’t you drink it?”

I blushed like crazy. I didn’t want him to think I was too immature. “No, not yet…”

He grinned mischievously and said, “Well I think it’s time you learned.”

I laughed and said alright. Practically running to my room, I changed into a loose sweater, short shorts, and sandals. I came back just in time. He was already grabbing his keys. He looked at me and smiled. “Ready?” I returned the gesture and said, “Sure am.”