Chapter 8 - "...you have my blessing."

When I got to the Palmwoods, I showered and changed into a pair of jeans and a cute, pink baggy sweater. I sat on the vanity next to the window and did my makeup. I suppose it couldn't hurt to wear just a little. I finished up and went to the living room, flipping through all the channels until I finally settled on Victorious. 

Kendall's kiss was still reeling through my mind. How could of that happened? How could everything around me seem so normal when I'd just kissed the celebrity boy I'd crushed on back in Minnesota, the boy I thought I'd never ever have a chance with? I felt more than happy, kind of like I'd just won a billion dollars on the Lottery. Of course...I'd take Kendall over anything else any day. 

I smiled to myself, thinking that the day couldn't get any better. 

As the show went to commercial, Katie walked in through the front-door, scaring me out of the instant replay going on in my head. "Hey Sam," she said with a smile, "how'd it go with Gustavo?" She sat down next to me, waiting for my answer, good or bad. I grinned. "I think he actually liked me. He said he was going to send the cover I did to Griffin to see what he thinks. I'll probably find out tomorrow if I'm going on tour with the guys." Katie smiled proudly at me. "That's great!" she said as she hugged me. She was a quiet for moment as she leaned back out. "Wait...don't you have to write music and record before you can go on tour?" I smiled misheviously. "Katie, I've been writing music since I was eight. Carlos isn't the only Garcia in the family with talent!" I said with a playful wink. We both broke into a hard laugh. "I guess so!" Katie said, still stiffling giggles. I smiled wide at her. "So, I didn't ask. How was your day?" She looked at me and her smile faded. "Well, I went on a date today, with that cute guy that works part-time at Starbucks, Drake? Anyway, it was good...but he was no James." she said with a sad, smile. I looked back at her and touched her arm. "I'm sorry...but why can't you just tell James you like him?" Katie sighed wearily. "I guess you're right...it's the only way I'll get anywhere with him...or nowhere...whatever. I just don't want to embarass myself." I instantly had a thought. "Want me to tell him for you? I wouldn't mind." "Won't that seem pathetic though?" she asked. I could already tell she was interested in my idea. "No, not to me anyway. I mean, I'll be your wingwoman, you know? Guys do it all the time!" I answered, excited now. Katie thought for a moment. "...okay...fine. You'll tell him then." She smiled, and I returned the gesture. "I'll be sure of it." 

****Three hours later****

The guys had finally gotten back from Rocque Records. I met them at the door, greeted by Carlos with one of his hugs, a pat on the head from James, a HEY! from Logan, and a kiss on the cheek from Kendall. My heart instantly started beating a million miles per hour. 

YOU HAVE TO FOCUS! I screamed at myself. I sighed, trying to calm myself as I called James over from my postition at the living room table. Katie was nowhere in sight, so there was no worry that she'd freak and back out. He sat down at the chair next to mine. "What's up Sam?" he said with a smile on his face. His cheeks were flushed a deep red from the mini hockey game I'd just taken him from. I looked at him and said, "I wanna tell you something. It's about Katie." His smiled faded and his eyes filled with concern. His voice turned into a low whisper. "What about Katie? Is she alright?" I nodded quickly and he let out a sigh of relief. "Yeah...she's fine. I just...she really likes you James..." I figured getting to the point would make the situation get to the good...or the bad...quicker. He grinned. That had to be a good sign. "Really?" I had expected more from him than just that but I nodded again. He looked at me and said, "I can't believe it...I mean...wow. Don't tell Kendall just yet, but when Katie started to get older, I kinda...I kinda have a thing for her too." He blushed at his last admit. I smiled and I had to fight the urge to get up and do the happy dance. "That's great! Katie's gonna be so happy. You have no idea how much she's been worrying that you didn't like her." I said. James nodded, "I'll tell her today. I'm so excited." Just at that moment, Katie walked in through the front door, carrying her gym bag, all sweaty from her work-out. James got up quickly, picked her up, which sent her bag flying, and kissed her passionately. He set her down, waiting for expression, as everyone in the room had suddenly stopped what they were doing. She looked up at him and blushed as she smiled. "James...I..." he interrupted her. "I love you Katie Knight. With all my heart." Tears ran down her cheeks and he brushed them away with his fingertips. She reached up and put her arms around his neck, setting her head against his chest as he kissed her head. I doubt I'd ever seen anything so sweet, so magical. The room was quiet until a subtle cough echoed around them.

It came from Kendall. James and Katie looked up, seeming like they'd been awoken from a trance. "Uhm...James? My sister?" he said. James smiled guiltily. "Kendall...I...I'm sorry man...I just...I...." Kendall raised his hand up. "It's fine, bro. If you make Katie happy, I give you my blessing." I smiled at the man I loved. Katie met Kendall's gaze. "Thanks big bro." They both smiled and he walked towards her and gave her a hug. James put his arm around Katie and she looked at me and said, "Thanks Sam." I laughed. "De nada." Carlos and Logan grinned at the moment and I knew everything had worken out just perfectly.