Chapter 21- Shane To The Rescue... Not

Chapter 21

Shane

I stared at the wall.

This was new to me.

The... scene I saw downstairs.

It confused me.

How could they all have been ok with Jeremy being Immune?

I heard the door open and I saw Ashley walk in.

She walked over to the small side table next to me and sat on it.

We didn’t say anything for awhile.

“I don’t get it,” I said, narrowing my eyes in confusion. “How could they have been totally ok with that?”

Ash laughed.

“Shane,” She said, “That’s what friends do. They accept each other no matter what.”

I looked at her. “They what?”

She laughed again. “You must have had a really fucked up children, my friend.”

She had no idea.

“You know,” she said, “You should have told them. I mean you saw how ok they were with Jeremy. If they knew-” I glared at her and she stopped herself, rethink her words. “If they knew your situation, they wouldn’t judge.”

She leaned in closer to me. “I didn’t judge.”

I was totally aware of the small distance between us. I turned my head away and looked back at the wall.

I heard her sigh and lean away.

“She’s pretty you know,” Ash said, twirling her hair.

I didn’t have to be a genius to know who she was talking about.

“But she seems happy with him,” She added.

“I know that,” I snapped, turning to face her.

“So forget about her!” Ashley said, jumping off the table.

“It’s... not that easy, Ash,” I said, smiling sadly.

How could you forget someone so... amazing?

“I know that,” she sighed. She took a look at me then started for the door.

“Just so you know,” She said, turning around, “I have a thing for green eyes.” She winked and closed the door, leaving me alone.

I laughed.

Ashley really was something. Maybe I should think about it...

“Oh Shane...”

I frowned.

Was I hearing John’s voice inside my head now?

Sometimes I think I’m going crazy.

“Shane, I know you can hear me,” John’s voice said again. I looked around the room but saw no one was there.

What the hell?

I looked down at the floor. It was my walkie-talkie. And it was blinking.

I quickly picked it up.

“What the hell are you doing with Braulio's walkie-talkie,” I snapped. Couldn’t this guy leave me alone!

“Funny story really,” Dr. Storm’s voice said back. “He came in here a few months ago kicking and screaming. Didn’t stand a chance against my army though. It was fun to watch.”