Chapter 5 - Something's Wrong

Chapter 5 

Ella

Our lunch table was silent. 

Everyone around us was eating, and laughing with their friends. They were being normal teens, as if the world didn’t completely end a year ago. 

But us?

My hair was all messed up and I had bags under my eyes from lack of sleep. Jeremy had the same blank look on his face as yesterday; probably still shock from the whole Zombie thing. Dominic and Alyssa also had bags under their eyes and Alyssa had no makeup on. 

We looked completely miserable. 

“What are we going to do?” I asked, looking at them. 

No one responded.

Hell they were acting as if they were the mindless zombies! 

This wasn’t good. 

“Guys! It’s not like we haven’t seen a zombie before!” I said, trying to snap them back to reality. 

“Yeah but not like that,” Alyssa pointed out. 

Ok I agreed with that. 

“It’s faster, and apparently immune to bullets,” She added.  

“Which is why we should help them stop him,” I said, “Guys, this is like saving the world stuff here,” I said.

“So you think we should do this? Join them?” Dominic asked. I turned to Jeremy who hasn’t said anything since yesterday. 

“What do you think, Jeremy?” I asked, looking at the blank stare he had. I cared about what he had to say, even after we broke up. But he hasn’t said absolutely anything since the zombie attacked. 

And he didn’t respond now.  

“Jeremy?” I asked, snapping my fingers in front of his face. 

He turned to me, and started at me. Then he got up and left. 

Ok?

“What the hell is his problem?” I asked, turning to them. They shrugged. 

“He’s been in spacing a lot since yesterday,” Alyssa said. 

“Well wouldn’t you even a zombie came within biting distance of you and didn’t bite you?” Dominic said. 

“Well I’m going to talk to him,” I said, standing up.

“Wait Ella,” Dominic called out, but I ignored him. 

I walked to the outside cafe and saw Jeremy pacing back and forth away from everyone else. He had his hand behind his head and had a panicked looked on his face. 

“Jeremy,” I said, trying to get his attention. 

He stopped and stared at me. 

“You alright?” I asked. I really was worried about him. He wasn’t acting like himself. 

But you know, I don’t even know if I know him anymore. 

Or at least he wasn’t the Jeremy I fell in love with during the year together. 

He gave me a weak smile. “I’m fine,” he lied, but then he looked at him confusion. “I didn’t think you cared,” he said, eyeing me weirdly. 

I faked laugh. 

“I don’t,” I lied, crossing my arms. He laughed as he stuffed his hands in his pocket.