Chapter 42 - Surprise

Chaeyoung's POV 

I take a deep breath.

Another deep breath. 

I open the door.

"Why are you doing here?"

Without any smile on my face, it's cold I know but let's get this over with, I don't want to deal with shits.

Nayeon only silent but I can tell that she's thrilled to see me, I see that she's not alone, she holds a little girl with her.

"Chaeyoungah, they found her"

Chaeyoung-ah, yes she used to call me like that. 

I look at the child next to her, scared and hiding in her back.

"Maddison, Chaeyoungah!"

No way, it couldn't be. 

"You're lying"

I don't hear that name again for almost 6 years.

I stare at her, I look at her. She's not a toddler anymore. Wait, is she really Maddie? Is she for Christ sake?

"The police found her in a Mexican border 5 months ago"

"Wait, wait wait wait!" I stutter, my mind has gone elsewhere, I can't concentrate. 

All of sudden my knees feeling weak. Could it be, Madison? My Maddie?

"I am not Maddie," The little girl says from Nayeon's back. 

"Chaeyoung-ah, it's her! She's been through a major trauma, Chaeyoung-ah"

"Here" Nayeon then give me papers, a blood test result. DNA test.

It's positive, it's Maddie.

Can it be Maddie?

Maddison Abigail? My child?

"Can we come in? It's a bit chilly?"

I could only silent and stare at the paper.

Nayeon comes to my house. 

Wait, wait. I really need time to process all of this.

Is she Maddison? My daughter?

Is Nayeon is in my house now, like really?

Am I dreaming now?

"Hi, I am Mina, please come in"

Mina then asks them to come into my house. I follow them as well, to be honest, I am still shocked.

"Hey you two talk, I will take care of her" Mina then offer.

"Thank you," Nayeon says to her.

I then pull her to the study.

"She's Maddison, Chaeyoung, our Maddie!"

"5 MONTHS? You should fucking call me, Nayeon, 5 months!"

"There was a lot on my plate okay? I didn't want to contact you until everything settled! I needed to pick her up, I needed to sort the documents, I needed to identify her, back and forth to the police station as well, stayed for almost a month in Arizona, there were lots. Okay?"

I could only fall down in my chair.

"They found her in a very bad shape, they freaking found her in a Mexican border, I didn't know up until now what Maddison been through because she's still afraid to open up to me, but I am sure she's been through a lot. She wasn't even 1 year old when the last time we saw her Chaeyoungie, now she's 6. I can't believe it myself at first, I didn't recognize her. She looked thin and shiver and afraid of the world. But I felt the connection. I gave birth to her. But then the results say it all, she's my child. Our child, Chaeyoungah"

I put my head down, my head hurts, I need time to process all of this. Shit. What is this?

"I get it that you need time to process things, I get it. It took me weeks as well, but please, please try to cope with this soon"

I give her no response.

"Look, I am staying at my Unnie's at Cheongdam-dong, and you better come soon"

She writes the address and put on the table.

"Goodbye Chaeyoung"

Nayeon then gets out and leave the room, I assume she takes Maddie as well and goes home.

I put my head down on the table. All I ever do in this world is to be reunited with Maddie again. Really. Years ago the police told me and told me that I should let her go and gave up because the surviving chance for a baby-kidnapping case was zero. I kept running and searching tho, hired a PI to another PI, terrorizing police station, I did everything to find her. Then, there was a time where I just gave up, I was letting her go. She will always remain in my heart, always.

But when she showed up, 6 years old now, I can't help but froze, I didn't know what to do. I felt like a jerk, she's my child and I can't even do anything about it. I should've at least hold her, that's all I ever wanted. Why can't I do that?

Tears come down to my face. I miss her, to be honest. I miss her, it hurts.

"Chaeyoung-ah" Mina calls my name. I know she's right here in front of, she rubs my back telling me to be okay to cry.

I hug her, cry on her arms.

"I didn't know what to do, Minari"

"Of course, you're still shocked, honey"

"I miss her, I miss her so much, I want her to be found, I want her to be okay, but then I just froze and doing nothing, Mina"

"I know, I know, I understand"

"And that witch, how come she didn't even tell me the past 5 months, is she crazy or something?"

"Chaeyoungie, trust me, it must be hard on her too I believe. She must be shocked as you are now"

"6 years Mina, 6 years...............She must have been through a lot" I look at her, "She found her at the Mexican border, I mean can you imagine............Oh God"

I hug her again. I can't imagine what that little girl must have been through.

"Give it some time to think about it, okay? Please, honey?" Mina then releases the hug and kneeling in front of me.

"Hey, on the bright side, you found Maddie, Maddison, your child! You should be thrilled, really. You should be thankful. Honey, it's a miracle"

"I know, I know" She then hugs me.

"I am so happy for you, Chaengie, really"

I believe that the women in front of me are a very good woman. She's sincerely happy for me as we found Maddie.

***

Chaeyoung sleeps faster than usual today, maybe her heart is too tired, or also because of the amount of alcohol she consumes today, I let her be, she needed it. As I sleep with her beside me, I woke up that night, saw her asleep, and my head twisted a bit. For a moment I thought, finally she found her child, her only child. The fact that Nayeon hides it for months, I can not even blame Nayeon for that. She must have some good reason out of it. That night I was really awake. People said when we cannot sleep, the mind always flies and flies. The worst thing that came to my mind is, what if Chaeyoung left all of her life and went back to America for her family. She's a family man, she could possibly do that. Oh God, I should fall asleep my mind are all over the place when I can't sleep.

I persuade Chaeyoung to meet Nayeon to talk about it. They should think ahead for Maddie. I told Chaeyoung to put aside her emotions for a moment. I do not want to interfere their problems, I believe that Chaeyoung can solve it, they both adults.