Chapter 8 - Joy

Chaeyoung's POV

Monday. The first day of the week comes and greets. I woke up at 6, my house and the campus is an hour distance by car. I need to get ready and be there at 8 every morning. The campus is located in the middle of the city, so you can imagine the traffic then. But Seoul is so much better than New York in term of the traffic jam. So here I am in the middle of the traffic jam, giggling over Mina's text to me. I'm loving this technology, where your message could transfer into a voice message, it helps when you drive. Mina is a fun friend to be with. Since the Saturday morning, we still communicating,

I sent a traffic jam photo to her. 

Chaeyoung : Should I head back home again? I'm done with this every day

Mina : Hahaha, I already gave up driving years ago, I chose subway tho.

Chaeyoung : Are you in train now? Be careful and take care

Mina : I am an expert on the train, but thanks.

Chaeyoung : How's the condition. Full? Packed? Crowded?

Mina : Not so bad actually.

Chaeyoung : If only I live close to the train station.......

Mina : You should try it, first it's faster, second it's cheaper than your gas and park ticket, well though the train is packed, you get what you pay hahaha

Chaeyoung ; hahaha, where are you?"

Mina : I'll be arrived in a minute. See you later Chaeyoung-ssi.

Chaeyoung : Okay, take care.

I focused on driving after that. Then I arrive in my building, I park my car and looking myself in the mirror. I should smile more. I practice my smile. I still got it.

"Professor Son, good morning"

"Good morning, Mr. Lee" I say with a big smile. Mr. Lee is a lecturer and also the head of administration for the graduate program, he's also a lecturer. "Got a class, Mr. Lee?"

"Yes, I have morning class for Visual Arts Department, Prof"

"Mr. Lee, I am younger than you, please call me just Chaeyoung"

"You are my boss, I can do that"

"We are in the parking area, so please Mr. Lee"

"Okay" Mr. Lee says yes with a very confused face.

People are really looking at me weirdly when I decided to put a smile on my face. Really, for the past 2 months, only 2 months people already judged me as someone cold? Wow. 

Before I go to my office, I greet the lecturers on the dining hall.

"Good morning everybody!"

All the lecturer's eyes fix on me. There are some who even choke and immediately take a drink. They freeze at my greeting. All of the lecturers then nod their head to me.

I go outside to end the awkwardness. I meet my promise. When I teach the morning class, I throw so many smiles and laughter with the students. My students are more critical, they asked me upfront why did I smile a lot today. After the morning class, I open my phone, there's a text from Mina.

Mina : My morning class got canceled, the academic department just told me when I arrived.

Chaeyoung : Poor you.......By the way, people looking at me weirdly today.

Mina : Why?

Chaeyoung : From the lecturers, the staff up until students.

Mina : How so?

Chaeyoung : I just, Today I just try to put a smile on my face, that's it. You said I should be smiling, right?

Mina: You took my advice?

Chaeyoung : Yes, and literally they are confused hahaha. Maybe these past months my image is cold, stiff, no jam and so on.

Mina : Changes are difficult, Chaeyoung-ssi. It's a positive change, people will understand someday. Actually, they are happy that you put a smile on your face but they just shocked because you did it all of sudden.

Chaeyoung : Yes, I get it. I should give this a time. Do I really that cold and stiff, Mina?"

Mina : Like I told you, I never felt that way ever since we met. And I want everyone to know that you are so warm inside.

I am actually smiling from ear to ear for that message.

Chaeyoung : So, I am 'warm'?

Mina : ZZZZZ

I know that Mina doesn't really like to be teased. But I did it anyway.